intermediary: an innamission (2)

(Brief note: intermediary: an innamission is a four-part intermissionary chapter. It will be given in the order best applied to the present timeline and the times given are an indication of how long it's been since the break-up.)     

Trigger Warning: This chapter includes depressive language and negative self-talk. 

Forty-Four Hours Post

Latto charges down the stairs, her face tight as she grabs her purse and rushes out the door. 'Latto,' Key calls behind her but she doesn't respond, slamming the door behind her. It falls silent again, no one sure of what happened or what to say.

They're partially relieved when Dee slowly comes down the stairs, her hands shoved in her sweatshirt pocket. 'Nugget,' Key says softly. She nods, walking toward him and sitting where Latto's things used to be, between Mani and Key.

'She told us what happened,' Key begins. Dee chuckles to herself, sucking her teeth in disbelief. 'He not comin' around no more, I'm makin' sure of that.' 'Aight,' she replies quietly, little thanks in her voice. 'Fuck she actin' like this for,' Peach grumbles loudly.

Dee grits her teeth, her body beginning to turn to face her but Mani places a hand on her shoulder, shaking his head. She stops, closing her eyes and attempting to calm down. Key frowns, biting his tongue and looking away from the sight.

'I 'preciate y'all comin' to check on me but I just wanna be by myself right now,' Dee begins. 'I gotta talk to my mom, my brother.' She stops, feeling annoyed glares and sympathetic stares on both sides of her. 'I really do appreciate y'all comin', I do,' she continues.

She looks up and around, seeing the concern and frustration on their faces, looking away quickly as she rubs her palms on her sweatpants. 'I just need some time, figure shit out,' she says quietly. The group nods, starting to stand and gather their things.

They say their goodbyes, few hugging her and others simply nodding. Mani and Key stay back, both staring at her with perturbed eyes. Key looks at Mani, as if waiting for him to leave. 'Just go, Keon,' Dee whispers, intently studying the carpet.

'He staying?' Key demands, motioning toward Mani. Dee sighs, 'Key, please.' She looks up, blinking away the burning in her eyes. 'I can't talk to you when you like this.' He stares back, his lip trembling slightly before he nods.

He embraces her, holding her tightly, his head falling into the crook of her neck. She feels the sputtering of his breathing and squeezes him tighter, hoping to confirm that she's still there, regardless of what happened the night before.

'I love you, nugget,' he whispers, the sincerity in his voice warming her. 'Love you too, meatball,' she whispers back. He holds her for a moment longer, clearing his throat as they separate and turning to walk away. She pretends not to see him roughly rub at his eyes as he opens the door.

Dee sits back down with a heavy sigh, her mind foggy but full of contrasting emotions; happiness to have silence, fear at how fast she could fall from this attempt, loneliness at the loss of him and sadness at the overwhelming sense of dread that comes with explaining what happened.

'I'mma head out too,' Mani says. She nods, starting to stand again. 'Nah, you good, just chill out,' he responds, leaning over to give her a hug. 'Call me if you need me, aight?' She nods, sitting back on the couch and closing her eyes.