⊿ Prologue *

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Young 15 year old Jessica Hollis sits before her fathers hospital bed, listening to his heartbeat on the monitor. Her dark brown eyes are constantly being covered by her quickly moving eyelids, trying to avoid the spilling of her tears.

She sucks in a deep breath, trying to calm the raging storm inside.

"He's going to be okay. He. Is. Going. To. Be. Okay." Jessica whispers, trying to convince herself of something she knows deep down isn't true. "You don't get to die on me, Dad! You're supposed to be here, I don't care if you hate me, I just want you to be alive."

Sucking in another deep breath, Jessica stands up from the chair she was sitting in and walks towards the window of the hospital room. Carefully pulling down one of the blinds, she looks out to see the dark halls of the hospital, bringing back memories she wished would never come back.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Her father's greatly increasing heart rate pulls her away from the window and straight over the side of his bed, eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"Nurse! Nurse!" Following Jessica's screams, nurses run into the room automatically assessing the situation. Jessica screams as she watches her father begin to convulse, shaking the bed and in turn shattering her heart.

She watches as a doctor comes in, telling them to stop helping him. The doctor tells them they can't waste the medical supplies needed to save him.

Jessica screams and lunges at the doctor, being immediately grabbed by a female nurse who slowly begins to rock her, trying to calm her down.

"No!" Jessica sobs as she watches her father's heart rate plummet and stop.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeepp.

Loud sobs rack her body as she dives out of the nurses arms and to her fathers side. Jessica breathes in a shaky breath as she reaches over to touch her father's tan arm.

Silent tears steam down her face as she closes his eyes that are a frozen with fear. Jessica kisses his head for the last time as the nurses begin to pack him away, not caring that Jessica was still standing next to him.

Jessica rudely stops them and grabs a hold off his hand, giving it a tight squeeze before she slowly pulls his wedding ring off his finger. With a tear flowing out of her eyes, she walks out of the room, clutching his ring in her vise like grip.

Tears continue to stream down her face as she wonders through the halls, eventually losing track of where she was but not caring. She didn't want to be here. Not anymore.

Jessica knew that she needed to be strong, if not for herself but for everyone who counted on her. But she just couldn't. She couldn't pretend that everything was okay when it wasn't. Her father, her last living relative, was dead and she had no one. Her father, despite his anger and resentment towards her, was her backbone- he was her will to live.

Jessica gently drags herself down a wall and sits, her knees to her chest and arms wrapped around her legs. Jessica brings up her father's wedding ring, pulling up a smaller one from the chain on her neck.

Jessica contemplates going to her best friend, Jackson, but doesn't, not wanting to see the pitiful look he will give her. Jessica loves Jackson but sometimes, just sometimes, she's jealous of the life he has with both of his happy parents and a good future ahead of him.

And she was just an orphan and her future was filled with the same as her present- death.

With small movements, she pulls off her necklace and places her father's wedding ring right beside her mother's. Her tears come to a stop as she returns the necklace to where it was before, now carrying the weight of another death on her neck.

And this time, she didn't know if she could get through it.

"Hey, are you okay?" Jessica looks up to see a tall pale boy with shaggy hair standing above her, looking incredibly concerned about a person he's never met before.

"Honestly? No." Taking a leap of faith, Jessica decides to reply to the stranger, because hey, maybe something good could come of it. Breathing in a shaky breath, she wipes the tears marks off her face. "My name's Jessica."

"Jasper Jordan, at your service." The boy says, smiling and bowing slightly. "Wanna talk about it?"

"Yeah. Yeah I would like that."

.+**+.+**+.+**+.

Hey guys!

First of all, I'd like to say thank you for giving my story a chance. It means a lot to me that you're here.

And second of all, if you are a returning reader, I haven't changed much from the original version of this prologue. I've just added bits and pieces here and there that will assist the story.

I hope you liked it!

Besitos (kisses)