Chapter one

Marks POV

"I hope we're in the same classes," Ethan says as we wait to get into the gym for orientation. The first day of school. Oh joy. I don't dislike school, but the first day is a fest of stress and high expectations.

It's a group of people all afraid of everyone else's standards. I can't say much, I'm one of them. I woke up at six o'clock when I had to be at school at nine. I spent the whole of three hours to fix my hair and pick out something to wear. I'm not proud of it, but I look hot so it's fine.

"I hope so too. At least one, you know? It'll be unbearable without having someone I don't hate."

"Gee, thanks."

"Where's the other three doofs?"

"Bob, Wade and Tyler?"

"No, the Jonas brothers. Yes, Bob Wade and Tyler," I laugh.

"Well, Bob and Wade drive here together so more than likely, they're at McDonald's. Tyler got here before us so he's probably already in there."

I nod. We finally get into the gym, finding Tyler and getting a seat beside him on the bleachers. After about ten minutes, Bob and Wade find us as well.

...

Five periods. A fourteen day cycle. Five periods in fourteen days and I have three classes with my friends. One class with Bob and Tyler, one class with Wade and Bob, and one class with Ethan.

Only three classes with people I don't despise? What utter garbage! This school will be lucky if I don't kill anyone within the first week.

I sit down in our first period of introductions for the day. I blankly stare out the window, until I hear an unfamiliar voice on the other side of the room.

I turn my head, finding a green haired boy standing in the doorway, talking to a blond haired boy.

"Are you sure? I can ask to transfer to this class if you want me with you," the blond boy is saying. The other boy smiles, shaking his head.

"No, that's alright. I'll see you at lunch and recess and in almost all my other classes. Having art by myself is fine." The boy has a slight accent. I can't tell what it is, it's a little faded. He doesn't give the blond a chance to say anything else before smirking and trotting into the classroom. He scans the room, looking for a place to sit before settling down in the empty seat beside me.

"Hi," he greets me cheerily. I turn to him, giving him a nod.

"Hey."

"My names Jack."

"Mark."

"Cool." Jack smiles, looking around the small art room. "I'm not very good at art," he laughs.

"Me neither. I was good in primary school. In my third year, my teacher told me I had promise for a career in painting. By elementary school I couldn't even draw a tree."

Jack laughs, a musical, wonderful sound. I give him a wide smile.

"I haven't seen you around school before," I comment.

"Oh, yeah. I just moved here."

"And that guy you were talking to, was that your brother?"

Jack chuckles, saying, "No, he's just a friend. I met him at my old school, he was an exchange student in Ireland, where I lived. He moved here and due to... family complications I moved with him. Now I'm living with my aunt in the city."

"Well, it's good that you got to go with your friend."

"Yeah, Im really grateful for Felix."

Being that it's more or less a free period, me and Jack spend the whole time talking. Most of it is nonsense, but I'm perfectly fine with that. He's a nice guy.

Unfortunately, the end of the period rolls around and Jacks friend--Felix--returns.

"I didn't like story mode Minecraft. I thought--"

"Jack?" Felix calls from across the room, cutting him off. Jack looks up, giving his friend a smile.

"Hi Felix! This is Mark, we were just talking about video games and--"

"Nice to meet you, Mark. Let's go now, Jack."

Jack doesn't falter.

"Yeah, okay. See you in class, Mark!" Jack walks off with Felix, giving me a wave as he goes.

I find myself staring after him, confusion and contentment running through me.

What's your story, little Irish boy?