Chapter twelve

Marks POV

Bless first period art class.

Me and Jack didn't speak for most of the week, but today I plan to change that.

It's been a semi unpleasant Friday. My brother took up all the hot water, then flushed the toilet while I was in the shower. Scared the shit out of me. Then, I burned myself on scorching water I didn't know was in the sink, leaving a nice mark on my hand. I forgot to check the weather and was hit in the eye by a quite large piece of hail.

By the time I got to school, I was sure I needed jacks smile to cheer me up.

Now, I sit in my seat in art class, waiting for him to arrive.

He walks in, his eyes on the ground, moving sluggishly. He sits beside me, looking up at me through his lashes.

I've never been happier to see those eyes.

"Mark, I'm sorry," he says before I get the chance to apologize.

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed any boundaries with you, I understand now that you're quite sensitive."

"No, I don't want you to have to tiptoe around me. I guess I'm just socially incapable."

He smiles at me, and every little problem I had this morning melts away.

"What's that on your hand?" Jack asks, gently pulling my hand over onto his desk.

"I burned it. I've been having an off day."

"I can tell. Anyway, I wanted to know if maybe you'd like to hang out with me this weekend? We could have a night like last weekend, but with less crying. I mean, some crying, just less. Every good slumber party has crying."

"Of course," I chuckle. "And, I'd love to."

"Cool. Could I invite Felix as well? I want the two of you to get along, and I think it'd be nice to spend time wit both of you."

I smile, nodding frantically. "Yeah, anything you want."

"Good. And by the way, Mark?" His voice is low, so he leans in closer to fall to me. "Don't look at me like that. You're gay is coming out of your eyes."

I laugh, pushing his shoulder in annoyance.

...

I knock on Jacks house door, the address he texted to me lead me to a small apartment with a red door. All the rest of the apartments have light blue doors, boring and faded, but this one is bright red.

The door opens and there's Jack, smiling at me in a pair of navy blue pajama pants and an orange sweatshirt.

"Good, you're here!" He cheers, pulling me inside and shutting the door behind us. Behind him, Felix is in the small kitchen, waiting on popcorn in red sweatpants and a grey tank top.

"I think your microwave is broken," Felix announces. Jack sighs, running over to Felix's side.

"Dammit, I don't think we'll get a new one. This is the third one that's gave out so far!"

"What, is the refund policy that strict," I joke, dropping my small bag on the floor beside another and slipping off my shoes.

"No, we were provided with certain things to get us going when we first moved here, but nothing lasts forever. The only thing in this apartment that hasn't been replaced, is the fridge and that's because we barely use it anyway. Mostly it's the deep freeze in the back room."

I nod to show I'm listening, joining the other two as they stare at the microwave. It has twenty seconds left on its timer, but the popcorn inside is still just a bag of kernels.

"Well, maybe we can do something about it." I shut off the micro wave, opening it up. It seems something's stuck to the sides of it, like someone taped something there. "Did you or your aunt tape a bunch of plastic or something on the inside of the microwave?"

"I think she did. I don't know if its plastic, but last week it gave out and she fixed it. Now it's giving out again."

"Well, I'm going to take that off and I'm also going to check the wires."

I do as I say, but I can't see a problem with the wires. Then, it comes to me.

"Jack, do you have an extension cord around?"

"Yeah, one sec."

He runs off, and within a few seconds, he returns with a white extension cord folded in his right hand. He gives it to me and I plug the microwave into it, plugging the end into a different outlet than it was in before.

I put the microwave back on the counter as it was, starting it again. This time, the popcorn begins to pop.

"See? I'm magic!"

Jack jumps up in happiness, rushing to give me a hug.

"Thanks, Mark! My aunt would have killed me if she found out I broke something else."

"You didn't break a thing, the outlet is faulty. You should probably tell her so she can have someone look at it."

"Okay, I'll see what I can do."

(Wowee, they made up. That came out of no where.

Yeah, I'm pretty predictable. Anyway, time for cheesy happy shite and all that. Let's go for it.

*waves*)