Chapter ten

Marks POV

"So... she knows," Jack mumbles, a light laugh accompanying his statement.

"Yeah, well." I shrug, digging into my breakfast.

"I wish I would've made a better first impression that stuttering in grass stained jeans." Jacks cheeks turn dark pink as he runs an anxious hand through his hair.

"Actually, your first impression was kissing her son on the front lawn."

Jack groans in embarrassment, covering his quickly reddening face with both his hands.

"Calm down! What's not to like about you?"

"Let's see, I kiss random people's sons on their lawn."

I stifle a laugh, looking over at Jack with a gentle smile.

"Jack, you didn't do anything wrong. She already likes you," I assure him. Jack looks up from his hands, giving me a sarcastic "Really?" Look.

"I'm not kidding, she said you're cute."

Jack sighs, staring down at his hands silently.

"If you're really not happy with how she thinks of you, you could change her mind. I could reintroduce the two of you."

Jack shrugs shyly. "I don't think so. You've probably noticed, I'm not the best with people."

"What are you talking about? You were great with my friends."

"Mark, it's been one day. It's not time for formal meetings with parents, okay?"

I nod simply, falling silent as we both continue to eat.

...

Jacks POV

Right from Marks house, I'm headed to Felix's place to give him the news. As of one night, me and Mark have become an item. For some, this is moving fast, and I completely agree. However, sometimes fast is good. Gives you more time to get more things done.

I walk straight in, passing Felix's mom with a polite smile.

"Hello, Jack," she says kindly.

"Hi. Felix in his room?"

"Yep, go on in."

I thank her, jogging up the stairs and into Felix's room.

"Hey Jacki. Where were you last night?" Felix asks, lounged out on his bed with a controller in hand.

"I was with Mark," I state truthfully. Felix gives me a look.

"Oh..?"

"Yeah, and I have something to talk to you about."

Felix lays down his controller, moving over so I can sit beside him on the bed.

"Should I be worried?"

"No, it's a good thing."

Felix nods. "Go on then."

I take a deep breath, preparing myself for him to get mad. "Me and Mark are sort of an item, so to speak."

"When did this happen?" Felix's expression is blank, completely unreadable, making me worried.

"Last night. I had a bit of a... panic, and he consoled me, and then we kissed. Twice."

"Wait, a bit of a panic?" Felix sits up insanely straight, grabbing my arm. "What do you mean? Did something happen? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, nothing happened, really. I just had a mild bit of anxiety, it wasn't anything bad."

"Why? What triggered it? Did Mark do something? I'll break his face in the next time I see him--"

"No, Mark didn't do anything! You're missing the point of the story."

"I'm not missing the point, I'm looking at something more important than a high school relationship that, let's be real, won't last beyond high school, if it last more than a month or so."

I feel my stomach clench. I can't lie, that hurt. I pull my knees up to my chest, staring at them blankly, trying to think on what to say. Felix, knowing me all too well, scoots over and pulls me into a hug.

"I'm sorry," he says. "You're my best friend, and I'm trying to look out for you."

I nod into his shoulder, burying my head in the crook of his neck.

...

Monday morning, I wake up beside Felix's feet. Sleeping top and tail was cool when we were kids, but now it's a little ridiculous.

I crawl out of bed, grabbing my phone and checking the time. I'm up early, far earlier than Felix will be, and I have no intentions of going back to bed.

Instead, I get dressed. I brought a bag with me to Felix's yesterday, so I quickly change into a pair of jeans and a grey and green baseball tee.

I leave a sticky note of Felix's forehead, informing him that I'm off to school early.

I walk into the empty school. I'm alone, other than two or three teachers who decided to get a jump on the day, like me.

As I walk toward my locker, enjoying being alone, I get pushed to the side. My hip slams into the metal lockers, but I'm lucky to have protected my head.

I turn to see the baboon who had the balls to shove me, and find Clark, Mr Basketball and the goalie of the hockey team. He's basically a wall, and I wonder how I've never had a problem with him before.

Oh yeah, I think, Felix.

"Well well," Clark snarls, "where's your buddy? Your big hero?"

I don't reply. I can't find any words. My lip begins to quiver, and though in my mind I'm confident, everywhere else I realize how small and useless I am.

"Hello? You deaf, mate? I'm talking to you!" He throws me forward, then back at the lockers. My shoulder takes the brunt this time, stinging and throbbing after a single hit. Holy shit, this guy is strong.

"I... I..." I can't get anything out, so i just let him punch me, and throw me around like a dog with it's toy.

He throws a punch, hitting right on my jawline, sending my head flying left. Then, out of nowhere he hits me on the opposite side, right on my eye. He shoves me to the ground, landing a kick to my ribs.

"Hey!" I hear someone shout from further down the hall. I don't bother looking up, a feeling in my neck telling me not to move.

I can't see the exchange, but I sure as hell hear it. There's a lot of cursing, and punching, and then someone runs away whimpering.

There's a hand supporting my back and I flinch, before hearing a welcoming voice.

"Sh," Mark shushes, "Its just me. Come on, I'll bring you to the nurses."

"No!" I croak. "Someone will see, and rumours with spread and it'll all come back to Clark and he'll find me again."

"What do you want me to do?"

"I don't..." I trail off, not having any ideas.

"I'll clean you up myself, then. Come on." Mark helps me to my feet, supporting my while left side, where my hip hit the locker earlier.

In a weak Olive Oyl impression, I mumble, "Oh Popeye, my hero."