3 | Love, Reign O'er Me

She poured Roger another shot, gently clinking the bottle against the shot glass sitting next to his knee. "You're up", she said. "Go."

He glared at her through the blue wig on his head, his eyes slightly lidded, and tilted his head back to allow the liquid to slide down his throat for the fifth time that night. She sat back on her knees, chest puffing out with pride, and gently adjusted the oversized sunglasses on her face, looking down her nose through the bright yellow lenses and staring menacingly at Roger.

He set the shot glass sternly onto the table and slid it to her, landing directly in her lap. She eyeballed it, twirling it gently in her hand, and set it down next to her on the floor.

"Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

Without hesitation, Roger said, "What's the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to you?"

"Oh god", she sighed, "there is literal no way I am sharing that with you."

Roger grinned mischievously, nodding towards the shot glass next to her. She lifted it up, awaiting the punishment she deserved. Roger carefully filled it to the brim, capping the bottle and setting it on the table as he awaited Madeline's penance. She took the shot quickly, grimacing slightly as she swallowed it and wiped her mouth on the back of her hand. He caught the shot glass as she tossed it to him, staring at him firmly as he set it down next to his knee, crossing his arms across his chest as she contemplated her next move.

"Truth or dare?"

Roger hesitated, adjusting the blue wig as he weighed his options.

"Dare."

Madeline eyed Roger, searched his form for some key or clue to the perfect punishment, and realized suddenly what she already knew.

"Run out onto the roof in your underwear."

His eyebrows shot up, mouth curling to a half-disappointed, half-curious shape, and she grinned back, teeth sparkling in the candlelight.

She was getting up from her position on the carpet, motioning for him to follow her lead, as she slipped on a loosely laced pair of leather combat boots, the laces dangling from the ringlets as she pulled at his arm.

"Oh yeah, alright, no problem", he replied, getting up from his place on the carpet. She frowned as he joyfully strode over to his own shoes and began putting them on, leaning against the wall in the dark of the kitchen.

"Oh no no, wait. Wait. You're planning something." She pushed electric blue strands from his eyes as he stood in front of her, smirking, looking down his nose at her suspicious eyes.

"Planning nothing", he said with a carefree tone, "just accepting my dare assignment."

He opened her front door and dragged her into the hallway, both of them struggling against the other as she shut the door behind herself as quietly as possible.

"Roger", she whispered, hand wrapped firmly around his own as he started climbing the stairs to his left. "We have to be quiet, no one's allowed up there."

They quickly stealthed their way up the stairs to the top floor, Roger illuminating the area with his lighter. Madeline lead Roger by hand to a door marked "employees only". She reached on top of the vending machine opposite the door and produced a small silver key, which fit smoothly into the door's lock. Pausing, she looked into Roger's eyes, eyes sparkling with knowing what was to come.

He extinguished the lighter flame, stuffing the small silver device back into his pants pocket.

He removed the borrowed shirt, careful to reposition the blue wig after he'd thrown the shirt to land on top of the corner of the vending machine. He unzipped his boots and left them next to the door, both Roger and Madeline jumping slightly as a thunderclap sounded near their heads. Roger dug the lighter back out of his pants pocket along with a pack of cigarettes. He lit a lone cigarette, returned the items to their place, sighed, and removed his pants.