Chapter One: Maid Meredith

Chardonnay:
I'm Chardonnay Taylor. Daughter of Paul and Lillian Taylor whom are my mom and dad as you may have guessed already. And my very identical twin: Isabelle. It was only us back then. We were rich, beautiful and loved. Our Dad, inherited millions from his father so he refused to send us to school, we were homeschooled with private tutors.

Our lives were pretty sedentary.

Both our parents couldn't tell between us as we both had hazel brown hair, olive skin and brilliant blue eyes. Everybody said we look exactly like Mother but we have Father's eyes. Mom works as a manager at a mall in New York (she spends most of her time in New York and only comes for main holidays) whilst my Dad stays at home. He already had billions inherited from his father, so, you know, why should he work?

We lived in a large mansion deep in the British countryside. The mansion belonged to my great, great, great paternal grandmother Victoria and is now standing for more than 150 years. I loved exploring the house with Isabelle, the secret passageways and the attics. It was what my friends called the traditional 'haunted house'. But it was home. And we were all happy as a family.

Until the maid came. She came the day my parents had their one millionth argument and were planning on their divorce. Dad insisted he needed a maid to help out with all the housework, we are "not very helpful" he says. Which is quite true, if I must say so myself, the house was enormous and we couldn't do it all alone. We were only eleven.

Only eleven when Mom and Dad started having very big arguments. This left me and Isabelle devastated as we knew what this meant: divorce. Isabelle became depressed and cried and pleaded, refused to talk for the first few days, but it was no use. A slight wave of the hand was my Dad's response and my Mom would pretend not to be listening.

Mom told us to stay with Dad as she had work. I hated the fact that they have to live apart now. I want them to be back together again. All because of the maid.

The maid was particularly small in demanour but very sweet when she first came. She was sickeningly pale, and had short blond hair, but her eyes were a evil shade of greeny-grey.

We soon learned that her appearence does not mirror the true heart beneath. She was cruel, mean and selfish. And her cruelness increased by day. We were demanded to call her "Maid Meredith...or else" she'd say.

I wouldn't dare speak of this to Dad as he clearly loves her help and constantly gives her praise which she does not deserve.

Once though, Isabelle challenged Maid Meredith by not doing any work and the row she had with father later is unforgettable as it went something like this, though I cannot remember it all.

"Dad you see how the Maid is treating us, like we are dirt. Why does she have to stay?" Isabelle began.

He peered over the newspaper he was reading, and clearly looked like he wanted to argue back but kept it inside.

"You keep turning a blind eye when she beats us and smacks us and hits us and insults us, why don't you do anything about it?"

This time he didn't even bother looking her way. "You do as she says, and she won't touch you," he responded too calmly.

Isabelle hastily stood up from the dining table.

"I WON'T, OKAY?! I'VE HAD ENOUGH AND I'M TELLING MOM WHEN SHE COMES OVER FOR CHRISTMAS!" she roared, her face a deep crimson.

"WHAT'S THE POINT OF GETTING A MAID WHEN WE ARE PRETTY MUCH DOING ALL THE WORK...AND WERE NOT EVEN GETTING ANY ...PRAISE. JUST HER....YOU LOVE HER MORE THAN YOU LOVE US," she continued tears falling rapidly down her face.

I knew she went too far and her eyes too reveal her shock as to what she said.

He dropped the newspaper, dramatically, revealing his bright pink face. "AND, WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO AND NOT TO DO, ISABELLE MAY TAYLOR?!" he shouted.

Oh shit, the middle name!

"But..." Isabelle said in a small voice her eyes clearly expressing her shock.

"MEREDITH SHALL STAY AND YOU WILL BE THROWN OUT OF THE HOUSE IF YOU CONTINUE THIS DISRESPECTFUL ATTITUDE... DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

He walked up to her and smacked her hard across her face, where she fell and hit her head on the wall behind her with a loud SMACK.

"YOU ARE A RUDE GIRL, ISABELLE, AND IF THIS CONTINUES...YOUR MOTHER SHALL NOT RETURN AND YOU WILL BE KICKED OUT THE HOUSE." he bellows. And he finishes by smacking her again and storms off out of the kitchen leaving her crying and her nose bleeding.

Father has always had a dislike to Isabelle, and since the maid came, he became horribly more aggressive to both of us. I don't know what's gotten into him.

When my mother didn't come back for Christmas as she had to stay behind in New York, Father found this a great opportunity to get closer to Maid Meredith. They hung mistletoe together and whispering underneath it and constantly stayed up till morning talking.

That's when I declared to Isabelle that 'I'd had enough' and so did Isabelle. We teamed together to spy on them and promised to snitch on father when mother came. On Christmas Eve, Isabelle was to spy on them and...the... unbelievable happened.

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

Author's Note:
Hey Wattpaders!
(Is it Wattpadders? I dunno!)

Allow me to introduce myself. My username is miss_medani11 (not my real name, obviously)😉

Sudanese-Dutch but live in England.

And I love writing stories. (Duh..) And I'm possibly the world's biggest Harry Potter fan and Divergent and Percy Jackson and The Hunger Games and The Game of Thrones and Disney (obviously, because who doesn't love Disney)

I am currently 16 and a passionate baker so we can talk baking anytime 😊.

Anyway, 😏 English is my second language so please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors.

So... hey🙋! And.... tell me what you think of my first chapter on Wattpad🙈🙉🙊!

Lots of love,
💙💚miss_medani11💜💛❤

©Rimaz Osman 2017
All Rights Reserved