Chapter Eight

It was quite late when Hermione and Harry got back home. The time had gotten awayfrom them and they had talked with Ginny and Ron for a while after the long chess game. Ron had obviously won the chess game. He was, after all, the best at chess. Harry had played Ginny and then Ginny had played Hermione. The game was short and Ginny had won since Hermione couldn’t play chess at all.

When they had realised what time it was they said their goodbyes to Ginny, Ron, Mr and Mrs. Weasley. Hermione noticed that Fred was leaning against the doorway in the kitchen while she hugged Ron goodbye. Maybe it was the lighting in the kitchen or the sleepiness that made her think the next thought but she had thought how handsome Fred had looked. His eyes seemed to know what she was thinking as he smirked at her and she blushed before hugging Ginny goodbye.

‘I hope you’ll come back soon,’ Mrs Weasley said to Hermione and Harry.

Hermione replied that she would love to come back. She would miss them and the food was great. After all the goodbyes, Harry and Hermione walked out of the door and into the long and unruly weeds. Hermione looked up at the shining stars which stare down at them, winking like they had a secret that she didn’t know about. Hermione smiled and took Harry’s hand. They apparated home and Hermione unlocked the front door and let Harry into the house. She made sure to lock the door and when she turned, she saw that Harry was staring at her.

‘What?’ asked Hermione uncomfortably as the green eyes scrutinised her like she had done something wrong.

‘Hermione, I know I have no right to say this but...’ Harry paused for a second and Hermione waited.

She looked calm enough. Her hands were crossed over her chest and she smoothed the frown off of her face but inside she felt like screaming. He knows! He knows about her and Fred and he’ll think that she was cheating on Ron. But she wasn’t cheating since she only liked Fred as a friend... that isn’t cheating. Ron had told her to stay away from Fred and she hadn’t... He knows...

‘But... um... I found this in your jeans pocket when you put it out for washing,’ Harry showed her a piece of parchment and at first she was confused then she understood it was from Viktor, ‘I know I shouldn’t have read it but I did because I don’t want you to get hurt and so... I read it and... I don’t think you should meet him.’

‘Harry, I-’ Hermione walked forward but he stopped her.

‘Listen, I don’t want you to meet him because he is really famous. I don’t want your face in the Daily Prophet because you know they’ll make a story out of anything. They’ll say that you are dating him and... you know what I mean, Hermione. So please don’t meet him. You don’t need you relationship with Ron to be even more confusing,’ Harry shrugged and handed her the paper, ‘We don’t need people following us about like dogs. It’s a wonder how they don’t know where we are staying...’

‘I understand, Harry, I’ll invite him over here if he wants to come,’ said Hermione, at ease now, ‘It’s late so I’m going to sleep. See you tomorrow.’

‘Bye,’ said Harry.

Hermione went into her room and quickly scrawled a letter,

‘Dear Viktor,

                        I’m sorry I can not meet you at Diagon Alley but if you want, you can come over to my house? Please send me another if you are able to come.

Love, Hermione’

She paused, holding the letter in her hands while George the owl hooted to her. Hermione absentmindedly stroked George’s head and the owl leaned into her hand. She noticed the way the orange in the owl’s feathers stood out. Almost the same as the Weasley’s hair colour. The owl hooted again and nipped her hand. She bent down to George’s level and the owl stared into her eyes.