Chapter Thirty-Eight

The thunder rippled across the sky, sending a boom every now and again. Lightning flashed outside, brightening the room for only a second before letting them be engulfed in the lonely, chilling silence as the light flickered above them swinging side to side by the wind that blew in through the open and creaking window. Charlie seemed to be huffing anger out of his nostrils looking, ironically, like a dragon while Bill was gaining ferocious stares from Fleur who was trying to hold him back to stop him from pouncing on Fred but Fleur still gave Hermione a filthy look.

The silence was so creepy and loud that Hermione felt as though if someone didn’t say something soon she would scream. Fred had let her hand go when she had blurted out the news and she wished she could feel the warmth of him. It made her feel so much safer and less lonely but right now she felt as though everyone was backing her into a corner to stare at the freak who was pregnant with her ex boyfriends brother. Not literally but everyone was still staring at her. Tears were already making their way down her face in a constant battle to hit the floor and she was frustrated that she couldn’t do this without crying. All that didn’t matter though, what mattered was the look of instant hurt and excruciating pain that had set onto Ron’s face. Hermione glanced at Fred, hoping that somehow he would be able to make things better but he didn’t acknowledge her at all. Fred stared at Ron with an expression of fearlessness mixed in with some sort of boldness.

‘I would say I'm sorry but,’ he glanced down at me with eyes that brimmed with only love and then looked at Ron and shrugged, ‘I have nothing to be sorry for.’

Then everything erupted like a volcano all at once. Ron lunged forwards with his wand stowed securely in his hand. Charlie and Bill attempted to grab him but they missed and he shot across the room like a bullet, eyes squarely on Fred. Hermione, feeling the heat rise up in her body, tried to run forwards to protect Fred but someone yanked her arm back and she landed into a hard chest. She looked up, quite annoyed, into the eyes of her best friend who shook his head at her. Harry helped her get steady onto her feet but Hermione turned around so fast that she heard – and felt – her neck crick.

She saw that Ron had Fred by the throat and pinned onto the wall opposite. Hermione locked eyes with Fred only once and she felt anger when Fred shook his head at her, telling her not to come any closer. Ron grabbed his wand and jabbed it into Fred’s neck which made Hermione scream out loud. The look on Ron’s face scared her.

Get off him!’ she screamed hysterically but no one reacted to her words. Harry grabbed her arms to stop her from diving at Ron which only augmented her fury, ‘LET ME GO!

Hermione turned towards Harry and used her whole strength to push him away but he only held on firmly. Ginny was crying at his side, watching her brothers trying to choke each other. Everyone else were paralyzed to the spot, Mrs Weasley’s frown deepened but she didn’t move.  Harry shook his head at her and told her to “let them talk it out” but Hermione could only think of the images of Fred lying in the hospital bed which made her claw at Harry’s chest.

‘Protego!’ a shaky voice shouted and Hermione felt terror settle in her chest. Her arms grew limp and she turned around with Harry’s hands still gripping hers.

A shield had appeared in front of her separating Fred and Ron from everyone else. Ron was pointing his wand straight at Fred’s throat, the anger in his eyes was unbelievable and terrifying. Fred’s face clouded up with a frown and he just sneered at Ron, trying to push him away. Hermione ran forwards into the shield but was pushed back by the intensity of it and Harry caught her again. She turned to the other Weasley’s and none of them could even move except Fleur who cowered behind Bill and glared at Hermione.

‘You stole her from me and then... raped my girlfriend?’ Ron said with an air of disgust. Hermione wanted to shout out that she hadn’t been raped but she didn’t get the chance as Ron continued, ‘and you aren’t even sorry about that? No-one’s going to take your side, you bloody git!