Chapter Forty-Two

‘Congratulations!’ Fred exclaimed and hugged his sister when she opened the door. Ginny was beaming with happiness as she hugged Fred back, ‘I can’t believe my younger sister is getting married!’

Fred had just apparated to Ginny’s house after he got the letter from Hermione. He had just left Draco to fit in the shelves and half his mind was still on work when he apparated. Although now he was thinking of only his sister and her big day. He could remember when she was still young and laughing as Fred and George showed her their newest prank, usually using Percy as a test subject. Now she was getting married and Fred still couldn’t believe it. Ginny wore tight jeans that still fitted her since her stomach hadn’t begun to show yet. She also wore a light blue frilly top.

‘Getting married before you!’ Ginny shook her head although the smile lit up her face and she took his jacket. She had also missed her brother terribly and she was happy that he was here. She hung his jacket on the peg and placed his folders on the small table in the hall. Fred shrugged but didn’t say anything to her comment. Ginny sighed as she stopped him from going inside the house. She was concerned about how tonight was going to go so she thought she should warn Fred before hand, ‘I have to tell you something but promise me you won’t freak out?’

‘Freak out?’ Fred asked, confused. Ginny nodded and grabbed his arm, looking nervous, as though stopping him from coming into the house. A soft breeze ruffled the hedges outside and it was eerily quite for a second. Fred had a horrible thought all of sudden, piercing through his body and suddenly his good mood evaporated into thin air, ‘is Hermione okay? Is she-’

‘Hermione’s fine. It’s not her... it’s,’ Ginny sighed, her hand held onto his arm as light as a falling feather. She looked up at him and Fred noticed the shocking resemblance between his sister and his mother. They had the same brown eyes, a shade darker than Hermione’s. Ginny spoke after a little pause, ‘Ron came over too and I don’t want you fighting in my house. Just try and keep your hands to yourself?’

‘Why would you invite him over and then ask me to come over too? You know he hates me and you’re just asking for this house to blow up when we have a bloody argument, Ginny,’ Fred seethed, all of his good mood had been taken away as though the wind, which had just blown into the house, had carried it away into the night air for someone else to make use of.

‘I asked him because I want both of you at my wedding without hexing each other. If you ruin my wedding-’ threatened Ginny but was cut off as Fred walked in and closed the front door behind him gently. He then turned to her and opened his mouth, thinking of what to say. He closed his mouth and ran a hand through his hair.

‘I won’t ruin your wedding... I... is he in there with Hermione right now?’ asked Fred and Ginny bit her lip, nodding, ‘let’s go in then.’

‘Fred-’

Fred ignored his little sister and walked past her into the house. There was a small kitchen to the right of him where nice smells floated towards him. Ginny must have made them all dinner but Fred had a pretty good feeling that he wouldn’t be eating here tonight. He couldn’t imagine Ron forgiving him so easily. Fred carried on to go into the living room and Ginny was hot on his heels. He didn’t want to ruin his sisters wedding so he promised himself he would try and make things work with Ron no matter what. He would at least try and be civil. Of course that promise was thrown out the window the moment Fred walked into the living room.

‘Fred, you’re here!’ Hermione cried happily.

She was standing with her arms crossed and staring at Ron when she noticed that Fred had entered the room. Harry was standing between her and Ron since Ron seemed to be emitting smoke from his ears. Hermione went to stand next to him, grabbing his arm and glancing at him, she gave him a discreet and knowing look. Fred understood what the look meant in a way that only couples understood each other. She meant for it to be a ‘don’t-start-a-fight’ look.