Chapter Twenty-Three

She could feel him staring at her, his green eyes bore into her back and she suddenly felt annoyed.  Hermione sighed with her arm around her belly and didn’t look away from the window. The rain splattered onto the ground but the noise was not soothing. It was depressing. She felt like climbing into bed, shutting herself out of the world by her covers and sleeping whenever everything was over. Hermione closed the curtains onto the rain and then turned around.

‘Stop staring, Harry,’ she whispered, watching him look down at his empty mug, ‘I don’t know what you expect me to say or do!’

‘I don’t expect you to do anything. I'm just worried, Hermione,’ Harry said, looking down at the hem of his jeans. He then looked at Hermione as she sat next to him, ‘you’re my best friend and I hate seeing you like this.’

‘Harry,’ whispered Hermione, taking his arm and resting her head on her shoulder. Her hair was probably tickling his neck but he hugged her tight, ‘I can’t do any of this anymore.’

‘You shouldn’t have to... I’m here for you,’ muttered Harry, stroking her long hair until she closed her eyes, ‘you’ve always been there for me and I’ll always be there for you, Hermione.’

‘Thank you, Harry, it means a lot but... I need Fred. My child needs his father and... he won’t talk to me at all,’ Hermione looked up to Harry, ‘I sent him so many messages, Harry, and can you believe that he sent me them back? I received all of my letters after I sent them and... I know he doesn’t want anything to do with me or my child. It’s been a week since I told him to buy me dinner so we can talk and he’s not even answering me! It hurts, Harry!’

Before Harry could say anything, she had rested her head on his shoulder and started to cry. Harry could remember how she had been like this in her sixth year. They had sat exactly like this after Ron had kissed Lavender. She had been hurt and had cried and now she was doing the exact same... the only difference was that she was crying over Fred.

‘I would speak to him for you but... he wont listen to me, Hermione, I know it. I’ve said all that I could say and he did come to your house a week ago. Now he’s sending your messages back and I can’t persuade him to leave his past behind and take responsibility. It’s obvious that he doesn’t want to and that he made a mistake when he slept with you. He’s playing with your feelings, Hermione, you can’t let him,’ Harry sighed, feeling his head hurt. Hermione hugged him as best as she could, ‘I have to leave, Hermione. Ginny wants to pick out wedding dishes and if I’m not there all hell will break loose.’

Hermione chuckled weakly but she wished he didn’t have to go. She was alone and had no one to talk to. Fred was ignoring her and who knew where Ron was. Harry stood up and paused looking at Hermione as she stood in front of him. He stared deep into her eyes like a best friend who would know what each other was thinking. Hermione felt the tears threaten to spill as Harry stared at her. Before she knew it, she threw her arms around Harry and cried into his shoulder while he waited patiently for her to stop, muttering soothing words into her ear.

‘Are you sure you’ll be alright?’ asked Harry and Hermione chuckled weakly, nodding, ‘okay, if you need anything, just owl me.’

‘Sure, Harry, thank you,’ said Hermione, wiping her tears away and feeling her heart lighten.