Chapter Sixteen

‘Fred?’ Hermione asked and raised a hand to the figure who had his back turned to her. She knew it was Fred since his flaming red hair was obviously his but she wished he would turn around, ‘Fred, you should leave.’

‘Leave?’ Fred whispered, not turning around but he still scared Hermione by the way he spoke. His voice seemed to carry in the wind and echo all around them.

Hermione shivered suddenly and felt a hand close on her shoulder. It was gentle but made her heart jump up into her throat and then dive down into the ground. She screamed loudly and even her voice echoed off of the walls. Hermione turned her head and gasped. The man smiled at her and she knew instantly that, no matter how much this man looked like Fred, it wasn’t him. It was obviously George, his skin looking deathly pale and transparent. She was aware that his hand wasn’t exactly touching her any more but it was going through her shoulder, causing a surge of coldness to sweep through her.

‘I don’t want to see him in pain, Hermione, and that is what you’re doing. You’re hurting him,’ George whispered and his voice was very ghost like.

Hermione looked back to Fred who still had his back to her. She turned back to George and realised that his eyes were losing their bright blue colour, instead they were turning a dull grey. Hermione felt her heart swell as she thought back to how Fred had acted when George died. She never wanted to see that again and she also didn’t want to hurt him. George nodded and Hermione realised he could probably read her mind.

‘I know you don’t want to hurt him but you are. He cries over my death every day and he thinks of me too but... he also thinks of you. He loves you with all his heart and if you be honest with him he will support you through everything. Even this child,’ George’s dull grey eyes flickered to Hermione’s stomach and he sighed, ‘don’t hurt him. Either let him go once and for all or be with him forever. It is your choice.'

‘I love Ron... I made a mistake with Fred. We didn’t mean for this to happen,’ whispered Hermione and a tear fell down her face.

‘Everything happens for a reason, Hermione. If you truly love Ron then leave Fred. Tell him you want nothing to do with him. It will break his heart but... I’m sure he could find someone else to love,’ George looked away as Hermione gave him the look which suggested that George knew Fred wouldn’t get over Hermione, ‘do what you think is best.’

‘Thank you, George,’ muttered Hermione.

George only gazed behind her and Hermione turned around to see where he was looking. She watched as Fred turned around to look at George confusingly. Hermione heard a dull crack and turned around to see that George had disappeared. She looked to Fred and watched him walk away. A dull sound sounded from the distance and Hermione was very confused. She heard the sound get louder and louder until it was ringing painfully in her head.

*RING RING*

Hermione brushed her unruly hair out of her face as she sat up in bed. She took deep breaths and realised that it was, obviously, a dream. She was still confused as to where the noise was coming from and then she chuckled realising it was the doorbell. The chuckle died on her lips as the dream came back to her. Hermione got out of her bed and went downstairs, taking the stairs two at a time. She quickly unlocked the door and stared at...

‘Ron?’ Hermione gasped as her eyes lay on him standing on her door step. He looked embarrassed as his face was bright red. He was holding red roses, ‘What are you doing here?’

‘I... um... I was wondering if you wanted to, maybe... we could grab a drink or something...’ Ron trailed off, turning red and Hermione looked to the flowers and then back to him. Ron was holding her breath and Hermione felt horrible as she replied.