Chapter 14

The car ride to the next state was quiet, we couldn't not think about when happened. We were traumatized. Braydon, the one who made me know BDSM wasn't for me, was dead. Shot in the head right in front of me. I hated him, sure, but I never wished death upon him. I would never do that to anyone. We were scared. He died in front of us, our parents probably heard our names on the news and were looking for us, the cops knew we were runaways, and I was hoping that my parents would keep wiring me money despite the fact that I ran away with the neighbors son. I was stalked by Braydon long enough that it had become my one and only true worry, now we would probably have to worry about Davie's mom coming to look for us along with the police since she would obviously get them involved, bitch. Sure, it was safe to go home, but we didn't want the anymore. We wanted to be happy and free with each other. We would both be eighteen soon. The police would stop their search and we could be happy.

"What are you thinking about, Vic?" I heard Davis' deep voice asked, luring me away from my what's-out-the-window mind set. I played with my unnaturally dyed hair, focusing on my strand at a time.

"This whole situation. Braydon's dead because of me. I know I shouldn't really worry about it 'cause he isn't after me anymore, but it's still my fault. I-I took a baby's father away." I could feel tears spilling from my eyes, hot and fast. My voice was shaky.

"No, the baby's mother took away it's father. It's not your fault, no matter what you say. Plus, the baby would've grown up fatherless anyway. I asked the cops to keep our names confidential, I know you're worried about that too." He gripped the steering wheel hard for a brief second before continuing, "Just please, don't worry about this too much. I'll keep us safe. I'll make sure nothing bad happens to you again, I promise."

I nodded and went back to staring out the window. I needed to forget. "Hey, will you do me a favor?"

"Sure thing, baby. What is it?" He had a hidden smile, the smile that only showed up in your eyes. He thought he made progress with his speech, I wasn't quite convinced.

"Pull over at the next gas stop. I don't know if it's soon enough to know, but I'd like to take a pregnancy test." I say in a fragile voice. I was starting to know just how much I didn't know about pregnancy or how to raise a child. I would need tons of help! "I just need to know."

"O-okay, love. I'll do that for you." He glanced over and smiled sweetly at me. I felt my heart beating faster, his simple jesters made me beyond ecstatic. One solid look of joy from him and it always feels like I'll have a heart attack! Okay, maybe I'm over-exaggerating. But, it might just be the most honest exaggeration I could possible concoct. Why couldn't he-who-shall-vanish-from-my-memory be that way? Why could he not vanish from my memory? "I can tell you're still thinking about it, love."

I sighed heavily, "I'm sorry, Davbir, I just can't get it out of my mind! He was shot in the head right in front of me! So pardon me if I'm not quite done thinking about it! I saw someone's blood in front of me as they laid in their own freaking pool of blood and brain - dead! The last thing I expected was to see anyone murdered in front of me. Self defence or not!"

Tears were flowing from my eyes, hot and sticky. I couldn't help it, for a wave of dread filled my body. My heart ached for he-who-needs-to-vanish-from-my-thoughts. His death etched in my memory, replaying over and over again. It was pointless to wipe my tears, they were coming too fast. I couldn't really breathe, I felt suffocated by my own body. Though, I felt relieved that I was no longer in danger from a psycho psychic. I had to admit, I did love him in some way. Perhaps it was how he treated me before the bondage, while he was sober, before I even knew about the alcohol. And now... Now he's dead.

I hadn't realized we stopped until I felt Davie's arms around me. "Shh. It's okay, love. I got you. I won't let you get broken anymore." He told me in a soothing voice. But could he prevent me from breaking anymore? Could he always protect me?

"I-I'm sorry, David. I'm blubbering like a baby." I pulled away and wiped my eyes. I tried to smile, it was an obvious broken-girl smile with well-hidden pain behind it. I didn't want him to worry about me too much. "I love you and I just want to be far from here."

"I love you too, Vic. I promise I'll get us far away from this shit. How does New York sound? We could make it if your parents keep wiring us money and we would have jobs just in case they stopped. We would start a family and eventually move into an actual house or just go ahead and out a down payment on a house. Whichever you'd prefer." Davis tells me as he steers us back onto the road. We would be free, blending in with the many tourists and New Yorkers and never being found out. We could be proud freaks, runaways, and lovers. Living in the big apple, being romantic with each other as we lived the dream day-by-day as we started a family. It sounded beyond amazing. It sounded perfect. The best thing that's could possibly happen to us was happening. We were free to live our lives as happy as we could. We were free from the wardens of our past.

I smiled brightly over at Davis, my heart swelling with joy, the previous grievances forgotten. "I'd love that! It's so perfect and romantic! Fuck the gas station stop, we'll stop when we need to!" The more I spoke, the higher my voice got and I got more excited. "New York here we come!" He laughed softly and pressed on the accelerator.

I was amazed when we got to New York, it only took six hours. It was night time and I could see all of the twinkling lights. I gasped in awe, stunned by the dazzling wonder. Not even the traffic bothered me, it probably would one day. I loved this place so much! That night slept in my car and in the morning we found the nicest and most affordable house we could and put a down payment on it. I had plenty to throw him a wonderful birthday party and tell him wonderful news.

So much has changed since I met you-know-who. The scars on my back never went away completely, but I did get the tattoo removed, replacing it with better ones. I didn't want that permanent reminder. But, I was happier now than ever. I wasn't alone and never would be again. Davis and I got our GED's. He went to a local college on an academic scholarship and studied forensics. I went to college online for art and writing. I pursued my dream of being a children's author and comic book creator. I was still in love with New York and all of its big dreams. I worked at a night club as a bartender to contribute to the money income. Did you think I'd let Davis do it all alone? We were getting married during the summer when he doesn't have classes. We let nothing stop our new dreams and we finally had a happy ending.