Chapter 1

The Opera

I arrived at the Metropolitan Opera House, and was overwhelmed by the grandeur of this magnificent place. Megan, came through as she had promised. She brought the most elegant long black strapless gown when she came to work. It was the perfect fit and she threw in a rhinestone necklace and matching earrings.

When she pulled out the Manolo Blahnik embellished black satin pumps, my eyes popped out of my head. She thought of everything. . . . Megan included long black gloves, a small black satin purse, and a black wrap in case it was chilly. It was the first month of autumn.

Megan did my hair in a fancy updo. I felt like Cinderella going to the Ball. I had never worn such elegant clothing, or had I gone to such a wonderful place. The opera house had such style and history. I felt so incredibly thankful to my manager and friend, Megan.

"You look stunning, Avalon. You will definitely catch some handsome man's eye tonight. Enjoy yourself, you deserve it." She was taking pictures with her cellphone, like she was a proud mother.

I caught a cab and left early, because Friday Midtown traffic would be bad. My cabdriver dropped me off in front of The Metropolitan Opera and my jaw hit the sidewalk, my mouth opened so wide. I'm sure I must have looked like a tourist.

I heard the clicking sound of my pumps hitting the sidewalk. Loud horns were beeping from the noisy traffic. There was no place on earth like being in New York City. It was thrilling to see the sights, hear the sounds, and smell the food from nearby street vendors and their food carts.

A beautiful fountain outside was gurgling and I had to take a selfie. I reflected on how nice it would have been to come here with a date. My mind drifted to the one man that I knew was out of my league.

I smiled thinking of Mr. Caramel Macchiato. Me and Megan started calling him that since I don't know his name.

I wonder if he's a bachelor? I've never noticed a wedding band on his finger. I noticed he always wears a nice watch. What am I thinking? None of that should matter to me.

I walked inside and I was even more awestruck by the lobby, and opulence everywhere. This was a special night. The chandeliers sparkled, the orchestra seats were plush, and the curtains were a vibrant gold and red. There was ornate painting everywhere. Real craftsmanship that you only see in older theaters like this. I sat and read my program, waiting for the performance to begin.

I wish I had someone here to share this experience with. Photos don't do it justice.

*****
Chance

I played the voice mail from my very aggravated mother. I had better close up shop, and get to the opera. "Chance, where are you? We're getting ready to leave, and you're still not home. I'll leave your ticket at Will Call, and don't be late."

"Barbara, can you call me an Uber for The Metropolitan Opera House? I'm going to change into my formal attire in my office. Thank you." I spoke quickly as I hurried passed Barbara's desk on my way to my office.

"Right away Mr. Corwin, will that be all?" She knows I always forget something.

I had a feeling traffic would be horrendous, and I'd end up getting there late."That's it, Barbara. I actually have everything I need to leave straight from work. I just hope I don't get stuck in this Midtown traffic."

I'm happy I brought my tuxedo to work with me. I came straight here, hung it up, and didn't get my usual caramel macchiato this morning. I wonder if my beautiful hazel eyed barista missed me? I don't even know her name. I changed clothes in a flash. My office is all glass, on the 36th floor. I have an amazing view of the Manhattan skyline.  No one can see me from that high up.