Chapter 6

Two Weeks Later. . .
Chance at Corwin Development Corporation

Everyone stood, as I walked into the office for the first time since my father had a heart attack. I was met with well wishes for my father's speedy recovery. There was a very somber mood.

Elizabeth held a tissue at the reception desk. "I'm so sorry to hear about your father, Mr. Corwin. We're all pulling for him, and hope he has a speedy recovery.

"Thank you, Elizabeth." I acknowledged her thoughtfulness. I wasn't prepared to come to work still dealing with my father's critical condition.

"Mr. Corwin, I'm so sorry about your father. I hope he recovers soon. " Barbara, had tears in her eyes.

"Thank you very much, Barbara." I couldn't say much more. It's not the same here, without my dad. I'm trying to keep my emotions in check.

"Barbara, could you assemble all of the Board members? I'd like to meet with them at 10 o'clock am. I am the acting CEO of Corwin Development Corporation, in my fathers absence." I gave Barbara a melancholy smile, it wasn't a happy promotion.

"Right away, Mr. Corwin. Please let me know if you need anything else." She will handle everything efficiently, I need that right now.

I entered my office, where everything is normal and familiar. I wasn't ready to move into my father's office. I was hoping to see him recover. I imagined him coming back to work, and resuming his role as CEO. He is still in the hospital in ICU. He's not out of the woods yet.

I stood at my office window with my hands behind my back, squeezing a stress ball. I looked out at my astonishing view of the Manhattan skyline. I thought back and realized, that the last time I was in my office was with Avalon and my father. Now she and her sparks are gone. . . .

I miss her. I wonder if what we were building, meant anything to her?

Flashback. . .

Barbara called me, "Hi Mr. Corwin, there is a Miss Brooks here to see you."

I came from my office for this unexpected visit, and hugged her. "Avalon, what are you doing here? This is a nice surprise."

She bounced on her toes. She wanted to share some exciting news and was being very suspenseful.

"Barbara, would you please hold all of my calls? I'll be busy with Avalon, for a while." I didn't plan to sound so authoritative.

"Certainly, Mr. Corwin." Barbara said, smiling.

I walked with Avalon into my office and I closed the door behind us.

"Have a seat please, and tell me this news that brought you here this afternoon." I was all ears, as I leaned back in my chair behind my desk.

"I wanted you to be the first to know, that I got the lead actress role in the new off Broadway Musical, that I auditioned for this morning. Rehearsals start Monday, for the next six weeks." She could barely contain her excitement.

I jumped out of my chair, came around, and gave her a huge hug. I was so happy and proud of her. I looked at her captivating hazel eyes, as my lips barely grazed hers in a kiss. I was still being careful not to overwhelm her, with my affection.