Chapter 13

Avalon
Thursday Night

I couldn't sleep no matter how hard I tried. I was physically tired, but my mind kept thinking back to Monday night when Chance came backstage. I signed his Playbill and he said, "He would always treasure it, like he treasures me." What did he mean by that?

Yesterday our cast got astounding news. Due to the success of our musical, we were going to take our show on the road and travel for one year. If we continue to have rave reviews, we would be given a permanent spot in a theater on Broadway. How extremely exciting this news was to us all. 

I decided to get up and write Chance a letter, since I can't sleep.

Dear Chance,

I wanted you to know, I'm leaving on Monday. We're taking our show on the road for one year. I didn't want to leave, without personally telling you the news or saying goodbye. I have given up on my dream of finding my prince charming. I've had that dream since I was a little girl. It was silly, I already know. . . .

I know that you and I will never be able to be together. Your mother has despised me, from the moment she met me. I wasn't born into a world of privilege like you. Therefore, I can never be the woman for you. Please know, that I will always love you and I will always remember you, Mr. Caramel Macchiato.

Love Always,

Avalon❤️️

I sealed the envelope and addressed it to: Mr. Chance Corwin. I wrote, Love Avalon, at the bottom. I got back in bed and drifted peacefully off to sleep.

Friday Morning
Avalon

I went to The Coffee Bar for old time sake. I grabbed a cup of coffee and I wanted to confer with Megan, before I stopped by Corwin Development Corporation.

"Avalon, it's so good to see you back here. Do you want your old job back?" Megan, joked and let out a hearty laugh.

"No, I'm on my way to drop off a letter that I wrote last night for Chance. I let him know that I'm leaving on Monday with my musical for one year." My words tumbled over each other, in a high pitched voice.

"Do you really want to leave for that long? I know this musical was your dream, but you've been doing this for several months, and I can see that you are exhausted. Are you prepared to leave and travel from city to city for a whole year?" Megan was very candid in her questioning.

"I honestly don't know what or how I feel. I have nothing here to stay for. This is my career.  Chance has found Michelle, and they'll probably be engaged soon. I can't stay around and read that in the newspaper. I've been watching, hoping, and waiting for him to choose me, these past few months.  I am human and that would shatter my facade. I would dissolve, never being whole again." I spoke very frankly to her.

"Well, I love you. Liliana and I are going to miss you to pieces. We'll always be your family. I'm proud of you." Megan grabbed me and held onto me like she would never see me again. Then we both started to weep uncontrollably.

I headed to Chance's office building, next. I got into the elevator and pushed the button for the 36th floor. The doors closed and I took a big gulp of air. I reached my floor and the doors opened, I suddenly chickened out. I saw Elizabeth at the reception desk.

"Good morning, Elizabeth. Could you make sure that Mr. Corwin, receives this letter? Thank you." I handed her the letter and gave her a bright smile.