Chapter 2

Megan called me bright and early, Saturday morning. The Coffee Bar was short staffed. Two people had called out sick. I told her I'd come in as soon as I got dressed. I got very little sleep thinking about last night's events. I wanted to tell her all about my evening at the Opera with Mr. Caramel Macchiato.

I wrapped up the jewelry she let me borrow. They went back carefully in the velvet boxes they were in. I pulled out the shoe box and eased the gown into the garment bag. I slid the wrap inside as well. I inventoried everything before heading out of the door to work.

I arrived at work an hour later and put everything in Megan's office. I jumped right in and started taking coffee orders. The line was out of the door. Saturday, it's really nuts here. I got the jolt of my life when Chance walked in. He never comes here on a Saturday.

He walked up to the counter, and I was ridiculously nervous. I felt bad for not waiting last night to hear what he had to say, but I had to leave.

I noticed that he hadn't shaved. The stubble looked good on his face. He eyed the menu on the board, as if contemplating his order. "Hi Avalon, I'll take a large black coffee please." He never changes his order. I had a puzzled expression on my face.

I made him a large black coffee and handed it to him. He gave me a $10.00 bill. "Keep the change." The coffee only costs $2.50. He began to walk away, and then turned around.

"Might I have a word with you, please?" He asked in a peculiar annoyed voice.

"I'm kind of busy right now filling orders. We're short staffed today." I gestured at the long line for emphasis.

"Fine, but I would like to speak to you at some point today. Could you come to my office when you're done here? It's not far from here. This is the address, and my cellphone number in case you get lost." He wrote it down on a napkin and handed it to me.

Before rushing out of the door Chance revealed his dimples. "Goodbye Avalon, have a good morning. I'll see you this afternoon."

"Goodbye Chance, I'll try to make it. Th-thank you for my tip." I stuttered, not expecting this turn of events.

"Your very welcome. I'll see you soon." He walked out of the door, without a backwards glance. He left me floored, I wasn't expecting him to say to have that conversation.

Isn't he awfully over confident? How does he know whether or not I'll show up at his office?

As the morning finally slowed down, I told Megan all about my evening at The Metropolitan Opera. I excitedly burst out, "Chance Corwin, is his name." I told her about accidentally sitting in his seat, me sitting next to him, and about meeting his snooty parents.

I shared, "He came in this morning and ordered a large black coffee. He has never ordered a large black coffee, ever. Something is off with him and he wants me to meet him today at his office to talk. I have no clue what this is about."

"Sounds like you had a very interesting night. What are the chances of you sitting with him? His mother sounds like a snob, but he doesn't. The fact that he invited you to his office should tell you that. Mr. Caramel Macchiato ordered a large black coffee? That is strange. You are going, aren't you?" Megan looked at me like I better say yes.

"I guess I should go, and at least hear him out. He did try to catch up to me last night after his mommy dearest insulted me. His office is close by. I have to admit, I'm curious to see where he works, and what his profession is." To be honest, I really wanted to see him.

I arrived that afternoon at Corwin Development Corporation. It was located on the 36th floor. There weren't many people there today. It was a beautiful office space and very contemporary. The lobby had cream colored walls and a light colored tile floor, with a dark brown and gray marbled effect. There were dark brown leather benches, chairs, and accent tables with chrome. An array of magazines were neatly placed on them. I noticed lots of tall green plants, glass block partitions, and a dark wood reception desk with a granite top.

Chance came out to greet me. "Welcome to Corwin Development Corporation."

"Thank you, it's lovely here. You must enjoy coming to work." I would in this office space.

He brought me further inside, to where the main offices were. There was no one else around, but the two of us. It seemed strange, with no people milling about. I guess they're off on the weekend.

Chance directed me to his beautiful contemporary office. He had a dark cherry wood desk, black leather sofa, and two leather chairs that sat in front of his desk.

Contemporary art hung on the walls. A huge display case with unique treasures he had collected from around the world, took up one wall. His office was mostly glass, with a dazzling view of the Manhattan skyline.

"Make yourself comfortable." He put his hand out towards a chair, as he sat behind his desk. "I'm not usually here at my office on Saturday. But I had some reports to get ready for a meeting on Monday."

"Your office is very impressive. What did you want to speak to me about?" My nerves couldn't take the suspense, any longer.

"I didn't want to let you leave last night without saying goodnight. I was trying to catch up to you, but you got in the cab and left. My parents are kind of snobby, and have their own ideas of who my brothers and I should associate with."

"Kind of snobby?" I couldn't hold that back, even if I wanted to.

"Okay, they are snobby, I hate to admit out loud." His face turned beet red.

"Hey, we can't help who our parents are. Parents can be pretty embarrassing." I joked to ease his embarrassment. We talked for a while for quite a while. He was impressed that I wanted to be an actress.

"I'm sure it will happen for you one day soon. Don't give up on your dream." He was very encouraging.

He is the CFO at Corwin Development Corporation, owned by his father. It's a real estate development company. He is a pretty big deal here, just like I figured him to be. He was very modest, which I liked about him even more.

"I'd like to take you to lunch on your next free afternoon."  He leaned back in his chair. "We can grab something and eat in Central Park."

I love to see the leaves starting to change color in Autumn. I don't know what I loved more. . . . The vibrant leaves or feeling the fallen leaves crunching beneath my feet. I gave him my cellphone number to put in his contacts.

He has two brothers, Alex and Brandon. His parents are, Cecelia and Gregory. "I assure you I'm not like my parents. I would like to get to know me better. I'm happy we ended up sitting at the opera together. I had been working up the nerve to ask your name. It couldn't have worked out better."

He walked me from his office to the lobby. I could tell he was nervous, and so was I. My heart was beating a mile a minute. I didn't know how to say goodbye, all of a sudden. Chance looked as if he wanted to kiss me, but knew he shouldn't. He extended his hand instead, and I gave him mine. I felt sparks immediately from his touch. My breath caught in my throat.

I agreed to have lunch with him on Friday afternoon. "I have an audition that morning for a new off Broadway production. I'll tell you how it went when we meet in Central Park for lunch."

We stood there locking eyes for a few seconds, and we both waved as I got on the elevator. I could finally let go of the breath I was holding.

I'm so happy he is nothing like his parents. But what will his mother say if she finds out about him defying her, and associating with me?

      ~Don't Forget To Vote~