Chapter 7

Avalon
Four Weeks Later. . .

I can't believe Opening Night is a few days away. Today we have our read through, with the director. Then we have Blocking and finally, Polishing.

"When we do Blocking, all the actors can wear street clothes. I will guide you when and where to stand, and when and where to sit, when to enter and exit the stage. Polishing rehearsals involve subtleties. Movements, including small gestures are refined. Delivery of lines are perfected, the tempo and pace of the performance is adjusted." The director let us know, that we still have work to do, and there is no down time before opening night.

I was so exhausted and my nerves were frazzled from working 10 hours a day, six days per week for the last six weeks. I hadn't heard from Chance at all. Not even a text message update about his father's condition.

Why did I leave the hospital when he begged me to stay? What was I thinking to tell him, that he'll find someone else? Did he move on? I wish I could hate him, but I was starting to fall hard for him. And I can never be the girl his mother wants me to be.

Chance
Corwin Development Corporation (SameDay)

I was in my office debating on whether, or not I should text Avalon. I've been busy here at the office, with assuming my father's role and going to the hospital to see my father every night. His condition wasn't improving like we had hoped. I couldn't help remembering back to my conversation with Avalon and that day's events. . . .

"My father had a heart attack today, and is undergoing a triple bypass surgery at New York Presbyterian Hospital. My two brothers are there with my mother, and I need to get the hospital right now." I repeated my mother's words, shaken to my core.

"I'll come with you, there's no time to take me back home." Avalon offered immediately.

We raced to the hospital main entrance, and went to the Patient Information Desk. "I need directions to the waiting room for the Surgical Unit for Gregory Corwin." I was still panting from running from the parking lot.

We followed the directions. My mother and two brothers were in the waiting room. Other families were there waiting for patients as well. Someone in green scrubs was talking to my mother when we walked in, and she eyed Avalon with me.

"What is she doing here?!" She directed her question at me, but was angrily looking at her.

"We were together today when I played your voicemail, and Avalon wanted to come with me."  I told her the honest truth, even though I knew she would be upset.

My mother pointed at Avalon, and yelled. "Get Out!" She continued, "You're the reason that my husband had a heart attack. We were arguing about Chance, wanting to have a relationship with you, and I strongly disagreed. Gregory started clutching his chest, and fell to the ground. I don't want you to ever come near my family. Get Out!" She started screaming at her in front of all the people in the waiting room.

I clutched my mother's shoulders. "Mom, you don't know what you're saying. Avalon had nothing to do with this. Calm down and please have a seat." I tried to speak calmly, and soothingly to her to diffuse the situation.

My brothers and I, all tried to calm her down from making a further embarrassing scene.

Poor Avalon turned toward the waiting room door and ran out. I couldn't see her face, but I knew she was upset and had to be humiliated by my mother's reaction. She headed for the elevators and pressed the down button.