Chapter 1

The two SandWings stood on one of the many terraces of their palace, silhouetted by the light of the three glowing moons.

         "You said you wanted to talk to me." said the older of the two, her caramel colored eyes sparkling off the many stars in the night sky.

         "Yes," Saguaro sighed, "I wanted to tell you face-to-face that I'm leaving."

        The princess had chosen only to tell her cousin of her departure, due to the fact that she wasn't exactly close with any of her other relatives, her grandmother and her aunts had blatantly threatened her life several times since the day she had hatched, her mother, Blaze, had always tended to treat her more like a prized pet than a daughter, she had never known anything about her father, and just like everyone else, had assumed that he had been murdered by Oasis long before her hatching, of course there was Erg, her Aunt Blister's son who the whispers of his mother's cruelties apon him had echoed throughout the castle halls for a good portion of his life, but the only dragon he had ever been spotted being friendly with was Mesa, the royal messenger.

         "What?" her cousin asked, tilting her head in confusion, "Why?"

         Saguaro shook her head, "War's about to break out, Sirocco! Oasis is dead, and none of us are clear heirs!"

           "You're...not going to fight for your throne?" Sirocco seemed shocked by this.

             "Of course not," she exclaimed, "we've both been forbidden to do that in order to keep our lives, we've been raised in secret, no one outside of the palace even knows we exist!"

                "Well, why don't you just fight alongside your mother, like I will." Sirocco shrugged.

                Saguaro looked down at her copper claws, "I-I can't do that. I mean, I care about my mother just as much as you probably do, I just don't think she can be the next queen. Are you even sure that you want to help your mother, I know just as well as you do that she dosen't give two grains of sand about you."

                  Sirocco's wings twitched as she turned her hardened gaze out to the everlasting expanse of dunes beneath the stars, "It's my life, Saguaro." she growled, and she knew that she had gone wrong with the sand grains comment.

        "I just came to say goodbye." she said quietly, picking the small bundle that she had thought practical up off the floor and spread her wings to take off from the balcony, and into the sky above.