Chapter 10

The day was going completely normal until Maroon looked out the window and let out a sharp gasp.

      "What is it?" Saguaro looked up from the scroll she was reading.

      "It's... dragons from the army!" she gasped.

       "Oh no, the must have found out about me!" Saguaro exclaimed.

        "Crimson!" Maroon called up the staircase behind her, get Saguaro to the hiding place!"

        Crimson dashed down the stairs, "Why? What happened?"

         "There's no time." she shook her head, "Just do it!"

          "Come on." Saguaro followed Crimson to the wooden wall that contained the stairs behind it. Crimson slid an obsidian colored talon between two boards to reveal a secret doorway that lead to a space under the stairs about the size of one of the closets back in the palace.

      The two dragons slid in, and Crimson closed the door.

      Talons thumped against the wooden door, and the knob clicked to let in a gust of wind that blew through the small cracks between steps.

       "Good day, sir, what brings you to my home?" asked Maroon's soft voice.

      "We've come to ask about your son." said a sharp, masculine voice, "He hasn't been back in two years."

       Saguaro glanced over at the darkened presence of Crimson, he obviously didn't think he was going to get in any trouble.

        "I haven't seen him either." Maroon lied, "He did speak of quitting once."

         "He can't quit." the dragon stated, "He must serve the allotted time that he signed up for."

           "Listen, all I know is that he's definitely not here." sighed Maroon.

           "Hm." grunted the dragon. He snapped his talons, "Search the house."

            The sound of talons on wood began echoing throughout the house, Saguaro's heart pounding along with it. What if they find us? I might not have been suspicious, but now I might get caught for helping Crimson.

      "Sir, this is highly intrusive!" Maroon snapped before letting out a snarl of annoyance.

        "We found nothing." said a feminine voice that probably belonged to one of the soldiers.

         "Alright." said the lead SkyWing, "I apologize for the inconvenience, ma'am." he told Maroon before he and the other dragons left the house.

          Saguaro looked to Crimson again as she sighed in relief.

           "We might not have made it out of that." he said.

            "Well, yeah-" she was broken off when Crimson kissed her.