Chapter 11

8 years later...

    Saguaro walked through the front room carrying a glass bowl of thin pieces of paper that she had just finished dying rainbow colors for confetti. Rouge was coming home today to celebrate his hatchday, and everyone was getting ready to surprise him with a party.

      "I got it done, Mom." she told Maroon who was flying a few inches off the floor to attatch a "Happy Hatch Day" banner to the ceiling. Saguaro had just begun calling her that because it seemed like what everyone else did, plus she could tell that Maroon liked the prospect of having a daughter just as much as Saguaro liked having a mother.

        "That's great," she said, "go ahead and put them over there." Maroon pointed to a tall, thin table by the edge of the stairs.

         "Alright." Saguaro nodded.

        She walked over to the wooden table, careful to avoid Maroon's large, dandelion colored, wings.

         Saguaro's heart jumped as a light knocking sound echoed through the room, visitors were few and far between, plus they didn't expect Rouge until much later.

          "I'll get it." offered Crimson, opening the door to reveal that the visitor was Gorge, a pale orange SkyWing, who, like Crimson and Saguaro had found love, was the dragon who Rouge loved.

            "You made it!" Maroon exclaimed.

             He shrugged, "I knew it was Rouge's hatchday party, and I might just have a special gift for him."

              Gorge reached up into a drawstring pouch at the base of his wing to pull out a simple, iron ring.

              Everyone in the room gasped.

              "You're going to propose?" Saguaro asked.

              "Well we've been together for about five years now," he shrugged, "and this war isn't ending any time soon."

               His last comment froze the room in sad silence for a moment, the war had been going on for nearly a decade, and showed no end in sight.

              "So, is everyone okay with this?" asked Gorge, returning the warmth back to the room.

            Crimson put a wing around his future brother-in-law, "If anyone's gonna marry my brother, I'm glad it's you."

             "You have my blessing." Maroon nodded.