Chapter 19

Saguaro was awoken late at night by the shaking and crackling of the egg that was rested in the curl of her barbed tail.

      "Crimson, wake up." she nudged him with her brown speckled wing.

        "What?" He rubbed his eyes after he had woken up.

       "Crimson." Saguaro nodded towards the gold and orange egg resting beside her as cracks spread across it's shell like the dry earth in the desert.

        "Oh my moons!" Crimson sat straight up, entirely alert, "Wha-What do we do? Should I go get my mother?Do we help him?"

         "Crimson." she whispered, placing a calming talon onto one if his, leaning forward to give him a kiss of affection, "Everything will be alright, I'm sure he'll make it out of the egg fine."

       They had known that their dragonet was male for months, and quite frankly, Saguaro was relieved, it meant that no SandWing royalty would see him as a possible threat in the future if they were ever discovered.

         Crimson And Saguaro each laid a talon onto the egg's shaking surface, feeling their small dragonet moving around inside, desperately trying to break free. She looked over to see a soft smile grow across Crimson's face as they shared the moment.

      "Come on little guy." he whispered.

      Suddenly, a large piece broke off of the egg, and Saguaro could see their dragonet moving around inside.

      "We're right here." Saguaro craned her neck to be right across from the egg.

        Several pieces began to break off one by one until the golden dragonet with orange tipped scales fell out beside his parents.

        "Oh!" Saguaro smiled as tears began to sparkle at the corners of her kelly green eyes.

          "Hello." Crimson reached one of his talons out for the dragonet to grab, both of his front legs not even able to reach the whole way around his father's lower leg, his barbed tail swinging wildly around like a rattlesnake.

             "We could call him Taklamakan." Saguaro suggested.

         Crimson scrunched his snout  in disagreement, "That's kind of a mouthfull, we're not NightWings, after all. Maybe we could shorten it to something with less syllables."

              "Like, maybe just Taklaman?" Saguaro said as the little dragonets hazel eyes blinked open.

              "He knows his name!" Crimson smiled.