Chapter 1 - Homebound

Chapter 1

My hands were placed firmly together on my lap. My black dress felt stiff as the afternoon heat surrounded me. Looking outside I watched the hustle and bustle of New York residents. Like cattle I thought, nasty stupid cattle. I wonder how they would react if there whole world was turned upside down.

“Miss.Walsh?”

Looking back up at the aging Ron O’Donell I forced a smile. His suit was I could only guess Armani… maybe Gucci. His office looked just as posh as the car he drove.

“Sorry Mr. O’Donell my mind is a little preoccupied.”

He gave me one of those damn sympathetic smiles. His crow’s-feet prominent near his eyes.

“Understandably so Miss.Walsh. I just need you to sign these papers here. Your father left everything in his will to you.”

His voice became friendlier at the end. Of course Dwayne left everything for me. He was a selfish bastard of a man that had a lot of debts. Always running from his problems- including me. I bit my tongue and nodded again at Ron.

“Your father owned his own ranch up in Amherst, Texas. As well as his 1982 ford ranger.”

He looked at me expectantly… like I should be grateful. I had to count to ten to calm myself.  I live in New York City. I worked my ass off for my beautiful sky rise condo and fought tooth and nail to be the executive of GemSpeed enterprise. Now I have a dump in Texas and an out of date truck to worry about?

“Please Mr. O’Donell, lets wrap this up I have a 2 o’clock meeting today”

He grimaced but got on with the paperwork.

“It seems your father worked hard to pay off his debts. He had quite a few….” His voice trailed off as he kept looking through the paper work. Good for you Dwayne- at least you did something right.

“Says here he had an insurance policy taken out 13 years ago… Miss.Walsh it looks like you are 100 grand richer.”

My face stayed straight. I don’t want nor do I need that man’s money. I don’t need anything from that sperm donor.

“Will that be all Ron?”

Nodding he told me where to sign. As I stood up to leave Ron’s hand shot out and grabbed my elbow.

“Miss.Walsh … Kaylie… I’m so sorry for your loss I know it must be awful. He was a good man, and a good friend.”

Sneering I ripped my arm away

“Mr.O’Donell if you say Dwayne was a good man- then you never knew him at all. Good day”

My dress felt sticky; clinging to my body as I strutted towards GemSpeed enterprise. My black heels made my legs look fabulous; but my feet swell. Pain is beauty my mother used to say; one of the few memories I ever had of her. My long blond hair was in sweaty knots cascading down my back; I knew I should have tied it up today. Sighing I grabbed my sunglasses and threw them on to shield the suns bright rays.

Glancing down at my watch I cursed. What a great day it has been. The news of my father’s passing was not a big deal to me- not like I have seen the man since my 6th birthday. My feet hurt, I looked like a hot mess and now I had to sit in on an awful meeting with hopefully future buyers- and I was running late.

I took my heels off and ran; I had 5 minutes to get into the board room. Slamming open the doors to GemSpeed I put my heels back on.

“Amanda!”

My secretary bustled towards me; a nervous expression on her face.

“Ye-yes Miss.Walsh?”

Still trying to catch my breath I smoothed down my rats nest.

“Do I look like I just ran?”

Amanda was a kind soul. She was happy where she was at in the social ladder and she was good at her job. I of course would sometimes demand to much- but she always pulled through with an honest smile. Dare I say she became one of my few friends.

“No Miss.Walsh you look fantastic- as always. Mr. Cartel is waiting for you in board room 2…don’t worry he has not been here long and I have Kevin in there going through the paperwork!... But Mr.Geinger wants to see you in his office first. We tried to find out why but he wouldn’t budge!”

Nodding I slowly made my way to the elevator- thanking her I hit the floor 25 button. Mine and Mr.Geinger-Andy- office was on the top floor. Being executive to this expanding company had its perks. My office walls were windows showing me the fantastic view of New York City. I decorated the office in teal and white-so elegant and homie.

Strutting to Andy’s office I walked in instead of knocking.

“Kaylie! How did it go?”

Shrugging my shoulders I replied

“It went, what do you need me for Andy I have Mr.Cartel waiting in the board room.”

He smiled his dimple smile. Andy and I went to college together 10 years ago. We worked side by side in this little hidden gem coffee shop; both of us struggling to pay for our tuition each year.  Once we founded GemSpeed  our careers took off- along with our bank accounts. Working together as the almighty duo our hard work and stubbornness finally paid off. No longer were we struggling or starving.

“I have some news for you… and its good news but I think you may take it as bad”

Frowning I sat down on his black leather couch, this does not seem good at all. He quickly stood up from behind his desk and marched over; plopping down beside me his hand resting on my bare knee.

“Kaylie… you have to take a vacation. The board members have been scrutinizing our every move. As the new labor laws take effect next week we have to make sure everything is being followed to a tee.”

My eyebrows furrowed involuntarily, what was the big deal? Sure we get vacation days- not like I have ever taken one. Neither has Andy though… why do I have to leave? If Mr.Cartels deal goes through this would be the biggest thing to happen to the company since Microsoft! 

Sensing a fight Andy continued.

“Remember that asshole kid in college? He was in Professor Morton’s software class- Blake Jensen?”

It wasn’t hard to forget Blake. Always the asshole to Andy and I. We never did anything to make him hate us but nevertheless he did. He would go out of his way to be a pain in the ass. Sure Andy and I were obviously on the bottom of the social ladder but we never harmed anyone.  Easy targets I suppose.

Nodding at him I didn’t say anything.

“He is the one targeting our company right now with the new law taking affect. Kal… he will be watching our every move and if we take one step out of line… well… you know he won’t hesitate to take us both out.”

“Alright. I hear you what about you though?”

Smiling his hand started to massage my knee.

“I’ll be leaving when you return. I’d love to take a vacation with you Kal, lord knows how badly. But one of us has to be here for GemSpeed… I just don’t trust anyone else. It’s our baby you know?”

Nodding I threaded my fingers through his hand. He smiled his toothy smile. Raising his hand up off my knee he grabbed some of my hair- threading it around his fingers.

“I’m thinking Bahamas, or maybe even Hawaii. What about you Miss.Walsh? Where you going to go?”

Scooting closer to me his mouth landed soft kisses up my neck. I raised my head giving him better access. Closing my eyes I succumbed to the feeling of his mouth on me- like so many times before.

“I’m going to go to Texas.”

He pulled away from me, smiling he started to undo his tie, my hands went to the zipper on the back of my dress. As our clothes were shed he climbed on top of me; dropping his mouth he gave me a quick peck.

“Yee-haw Kal”