Chapter 14- Caw-caw

***I know i know... TWO chapters in one day. Im awesome. Have a great monday everybody!***

Cheers!

LifeAsIKnowIt

I pushed ignore on my phone for the 6th time. Andy has called me nonstop since returning to work and I just didn’t have it in me to answer his calls. Dallas on the other hand hasn’t called once- which would be relieving if it wasn’t for the fact that I could feel him through our damn bond.

He was worried about me- but also very preoccupied. I have no idea how I was able to tell but I knew. I stood from the couch grabbing my slippers; the house seemed so cold today; even though the window showed me a different story. Grabbing my duvet I cuddled up on the couch again, hot coffee in my hand.

Something wasn’t right. Plain and simple. I felt different and since when did I not care about Andy or Gemspeed? That was my life, my passion. Now I’m just not answering phone calls? Not checking emails? Thinking about Whites coffee shop again I stood up and looked out the window.

I could see there was a breeze as I watched the trees sway left and right.  It was the first time I noticed the grass- it needed to be mowed badly. A bird circling took my eyes off the impending yard work. It circled in front of the house twice before landing on the tree branch. I couldn’t take my eyes off the crow; I never cared for birds before. Okay, I never cared about any birds at all-unless of course it shit on my car- but this… this one captivated me. In such a bad way.

It was like I was checking out a man; I started at the birds claws and worked my way up. When I got past the black silky feathers, the long talon like claws and the way when the light hit his beak it looked more like a dagger- I jumped back in surprise.

He was staring right back at me; the beady eyes never swaying. My hand rose on its own accord and touched the glass window. He rose from the tree; wings ascended out his sides- like he was going to fly… no not fly attack!

I felt my heart skip a beat

He swooped up and dove down straight for the window; I knew I wouldn’t be able to move fast enough but just before he broke free the sound of a beat up truck echoed around me.

Dallas, Dallas was here.

The crow halted the last second before making impact; flew up the side of the house just to swoop down and land right back on the same branch.

I was still rooted in the same spot. If I didn’t see it- I wouldn’t have believed it. I could hear Dallas pull up the drive- he was almost here. He must have felt my panic in that damn bond. I tried to shake my head away from the window but I was stuck on that crow.

He was fucking with me. He had to be.

I wanted to laugh; did I really just think that? A bird- messing with me?

I waited for Dallas to knock on the door; for me to let him in but it never came. I wanted to go check and see if he was alright but I didn’t want to let this damn crow out of my site. What if he attacked Dallas? Oh my god what if h-

“Kaylie? Are you okay?”

The sound of Dallas behind me made me scream and whip around fast.  My breathing erratic. Out of reflex I whipped my now cold coffee at him. He managed to grab the cup- thank god it was my favorite mug- but couldn’t dodge the cold coffee- which coated his blue shirt.

“I’m so sorry Dallas! Ill grab a towel hold on ill-“

His arms reached for me- squeezing me to him.

“Forget the towels Kay, are you okay?”

He let me go and walked around me- as if searching for something to be wrong. When I assumed he was satisfied he started sniffing around the living room- which normally I would have had a field day with but right now he was scaring me… and I was still keeping that crow in my peripheral vision.

“What happened Kaylie? What did you do?”

He grabbed me again and pulled me to the couch; instead of sitting on him like I knew he wanted-needed- I sat on the arm rest, facing the window still. I glanced at Dallas quick.

“What do you mean what did I do? What are you talking about?”

I quickly glanced at the tree again- the crow still sitting there. I knew he was waiting patiently for me… how did I now this? I don’t know.

“Kaylie- look at me- I was at the poli-library doing some research for something and I just couldn’t feel you anymore. I- I thought you, that you died. You were there- within me one second and the next you were just gone!”

He pulled me to him again- frantic and confused- but I couldn’t take my eyes of that damn bird.

“Dallas I didn’t do anything I swear but- I need to grab my slippers they fell off when you grabbed me., Aren’t you cold? I’m frozen!”

He looked at me quickly before grabbing my forgotten slippers- well I assumed he was- my eyes were still trained on the window.

“Kaylie, it’s hot in here. I’m sweating just standing… lay down I want to check your temperature”

I shook my head- if I lay down I wouldn’t be able to see the crow.  If I can’t see the crow he will do something awful to me. I know it.

“Kaylie- please just let me help you. Plea- Kaylie! Look at me!”

I shook my head again

“No, can’t”

I felt him stand behind me; his arms slowly wrapping around me.

“What are you looking at?”

His breath tickled my ear, making my already prominent goose bumps stand in full salute

“Don’t you see him? The crow? He just… is watching me on the tree.”

Dallas walked ahead of me cutting off my line of vision- I shook my head and blinked a few times, clearly forgetting to do that.

“Kaylie there isn’t any crow, there’s nothing out there”

I moved beside him again and watched as the crow took off his cawing echoing as he flew.

Laughing … he was laughing as he flew away

“Dallas… Can you feel me now?”

I felt Dallas gaze on me; looking back at him his eyes screamed confusion. He quickly shook his head no.

I started to feel cold again; as I pulled my duvet tighter around me I could only mutter one thing to him.

“It was the crow”

Darkness cascaded around me as I dropped to the ground. Finally- some peace and quiet.

I was out like a light.