Chapter 3 - Hell outta Dodge

The house was surprisingly in good shape. Looks like I’ll have more free time here than I initially thought. The living room was a dark chocolate brown; all the furniture looked to be in pretty decent shape… all it really needed was a woman’s touch.

Making my way across the living room I looked at all the photos on the hallway wall. Pictures upon pictures were framed- crookedly - but at least framed.  Dwayne standing in front of that old ford truck, Dwayne and 3 others on a boat; fishing perhaps. The one that really caught my eye was Dwayne and Dallas- arms around each other smiling. Dallas looked fairly young- maybe taken a few years ago… come to think of it I didn’t even know Dallas age.

Shaking Dallas out of my mind I walked into the kitchen. The walls painted a light baby blue with white cupboards. The floors looking extremely outdated… I suppose I will have to start in the kitchen first. Sighing I walked over to the fridge- silently praying Dallas was smart enough to clean out the fridge.

Empty. Not even baking soda in the back! Slamming the fridge door I explored the rest of the house. The 3 bedrooms were nice and elegant looking… one would think Dwayne had a woman living with him- although I didn’t see any photos-or bobby pins… the only sure sign a woman has stepped  foot in a man’s house.

Well, mines well head to town for some grub before I head to bed. Grabbing my signature shades and wallet I jumped in the old ford. Alan Jackson was playing on the radio; smiling I turned it up unrolled both windows- manually – and backed out of the driveway ready to spend some money on some much needed comfort food… but I refuse to buy milk- unless it’s from a 7-11.

As I came up to the intersection an eerie feeling of being watched overcame me. Sitting in the idling truck I looked around but found nothing out of sorts.  Weird.

Throwing the truck in gear I continued down the dusty road into town. The range road was not as far away from town as I thought- it took a mere 10 minutes.

 Looking around on main street I had to admit the town did have potential. It would be a good retirement community. Parking I jumped out of the truck to do some window shopping. It was strange- there was only one shop for everything. One shop for clothes- peasant looking clothes. One shop for coffee; literally just cream or sugar coffee. Starbucks, I need to tell them about Starbucks.

Opening the café door a little bell signaled my arrival to the staff. An old plump lady stood behind the counter- her greying hair piled high on top of her head; orange, pink, purple and blue flowers pinned all over. 

“Hi, I’m hoping for a coffee”

The plump lady beamed a huge smile at me; waddling around behind the counter she came over; grabbing my face in her clammy hands.

“Well; I’ll be! Look at you dear! So beautiful, it’s about time you came here. Yours pa missed you very much!”

Taking a step back I was confused; who the hell is this woman?

“But look at you dear! To skinny; do you eat? If you turn sideways and stick your tongue out I would mistake you for a zipper!”

I didn’t know whether to be flattered- or offended. A zipper?

“Sorry dear my name is White. Call me white- don’t ask for a first name just call me White okie dokie! Now what can I get for you sugar?”

And just like that she was back behind the counter. I was still standing in the same spot looking like a fish out of water. Shaking the weirdness off I slowly scooted closer to the counter.

“Um just a French vanilla coffee?”

Smiling she nodded and grabbed a Styrofoam cup with a bottle of French vanilla creamer id usually buy off the grocery store shelf. Well…. At least its coffee.