Chapter Eight

Unedited.

It took a lot to keep everyone from calling the council and ordering goblin patrols and another body guard. Grady and Edaline helped Sophie calm them.

After they left Sophie changed into comfortable pants and a dark tunic. Pulling her hair up, she walked to office. Opening it up, Sophie strode through the waiting room, and unlocked her office. Sandor didn't ask what she was doing, but instead watched as she went to the picture. Sophie pressed against the corner, before pulling up the corner of the painting, she pressed the brick. With the sound of bricks scraping for a second. Sophie turned and saw the fire place swing open effortlessly, without a sound.

"Stay quiet." Sophie whispered to Sandor, as they stared at the stone steps that vanished into inky darkness. Sandor stepped in first. Sophie followed and the fire place closed behind them. Sophie's sucker punches glowed a gentle white, Sophie willed them to glow brighter and they did, with her fist raised up, the light chased away the some of the shadows, that shied away from the light. Sophie held into Sandor's arm as she followed him. "Turn right." Sophie transmitted as they reached the bottom of the stairs. That split off two ways. Sandor sniffed the air before following her directions. Sophie have directions leading to tunnel eight, and they stopped. Glancing around, nobody was there.

But then Sophie heard it. The sound of voices. Pressing her ear to the cold stone wall, the voices became clearer. Emery and a councilor named Noland. Emery was speaking, "She went off the script but she reached out to the people, just like we needed. She completely silenced the unrest." Emery said. "Yes, but what if she learns about our deal with Fintan? She already has people trusting her for being the 'beacon of light' you want her to be. What if she told them about it? We could be kicked off the council." Noland said. "No. One." Emery said slowly. "Will know about our deal with Fintan." He said.

Sophie's heart thundered, they had made a deal with the Neverseen? With Fintan? What deal? Turning her head, Sophie pressed her other ear to the wall, and cupped her cold one. "This was a bad idea Emery." Noland said. "It silenced the citizens, all we have to do is keep her in the dark so she won't suspect a thing. We'll keep her busy." Emery said. "Besides." Liora said, her voice joining in the conversation. "She's to wrapped up with the Vacker boy, to even think of anything else." She said. "True, but we shouldn't risk it." Noland said. "Noland, she's a girl, a teenage girl, when I was her age all I thought about was my crush." Liora said in a scolding tone. "But she's not you." Noland argued.

"Have you seen how her brown eyes observe everything? How she's always looking over her shoulder? She's to smart for her own good." Noland said. "I wouldn't even doubt her I sight for a moment." Noland said. "She's barely a teenager." Liora said. "Which makes her even more dangerous. She can get away with stuff, she can talk her way out of trouble and she could probably even charm a beguiler." Noland said.

"You're over reacting." Liora said. "I agree with the both of you. We can't be to careful with Sophie, however we can't do anything to get her suspicion up. She can lie straight through her teeth with a straight face. She has a shell of solid stone, we just need to get her to trust us." Emery said. "She already doesn't trust us." Noland said. "Which is why we have to talk to her." He said. "We understand you concerns Noland, but Sophie isn't as comparative as you make her out to be." Emery said.

"We can't underestimate her." Noland said. "I'm not saying we do." Emery said. "Just do what you do, we'll keep an eye on Sophie." Liora said. Shuffling sounded and a door opened and closed. "Well he certainly is as grumpy as ever." Liora said. Sophie had felt a small draft, above her head, going up on her tip toes she realized there was a peep hole. Looking in Sophie could see Emery's office. Despite being at floor level, Sophie could see she was at the far wall of the door. The floor was carpet and brown, "He certainly is." Emery agreed. His office was set up differently from Sophie's own.