Chapter Twelve

Unedited.

"Eliza." Anne said as she looked surprised when Eliza walked into their house with Sandor. "Hey, sorry about today." Sophie apologized. Anne bit her lip, before speaking. "It's fine...I... I talked with my Dad earlier."

Meaning Wylie had talked to Tiergan, and he had told him the plan. "Sorry to lay that all on you." Sophie said as she pulled her boots off, meaning the council work. "It's... It's alright." Anne said. "Oh, this is Sandy, my brother, he'll be staying with us." Sophie said introducing her 'brother' Anne nodded. "Nice to see you again." She told Sandor who nodded to her, as he sniffed the air and wrinkled his nose, remembering he was part elf now. Sophie sat down on the couch with a sigh.

Rubbing her aching head. Fitz wouldn't stop calling to her, and his heartbroken voice was ripping into her heart. "Are you okay?" Anne asked. Sophie nodded, "Just....shocked I guess." She said. "No doubt." Anne said, "Did it hurt?" She asked as she set poured Sophie some water. "Just a tiny bit." Sophie said. Looking at her shaking tan hands, she clenched them to fists to stop it. The truth was seeing herself die in front of her own eyes had shook her up more than she liked to admit. Her nerves couldn't seem to calm. Anne handed the water to Sophie, before sitting down next to her. Sandor went to search the small house.

"Just calm down. It's for the better..." Anne said rubbing a warm hand on Sophie's shoulder. "I sure hope so...I hate putting them through this...again." Sophie said. Anne wrapped her arm around Sophie. "They're strong. They've been through it once they can do it again. You just have to believe in them." Anne said rubbing her shoulder, Sophie nodded. "Okay. You're right. They are strong." She said, not sure if she were trying to convince herself or the dull teal eyes she had seen across the players field.

~

Fitz stared at his wrecked room. Every picture frame was broken, every drawer was ripped out of his dresser.

His clothes were strewn around the room, and more than a few holes were in the walls. His mattress was ripped off his bed, the bed frame was broken and smashed to splinters. The nightstand had been thrown across the room and made a large dent in the wall and fallen to the ground, books splaying out from the drawers, along with pens, pencils and notes.

The closet was disoriented havoc, she couldn't possibly be dead. The hollow feeling in Fitz's chest kept digging, farther and farther into him. Emptying all feeling out of him. Fitz's shaky legs collapsed beneath him and he fell in the middle of the chaos, his insides were in turmoil, and every second it felt like Fitz was going to be sick. The mirror in his bathroom was smashed to shards, and everything else was trashed. Every part of him wanted to throw up the news and act like it had never come.

But he had seen Elwin nod. Fitz managed to get to the bathroom, as everything rushed up. Leaning over the toilet he heaved, his eyesight blurring as his stomach burned as it gave everything up. Wiping his mouth Fitz let out a raspy breath. She couldn't be gone...

Their bond was still there! He had heard her talk after Elwin had nodded. She wasn't supposed to die...not her...

Fitz found himself sitting in the middle of shards of broken mirror, his tears burned his cheeks, why couldn't he have saved her? Why had he invited her to the stupid game?! Why did it have to be her?!

Fitz found himself slamming his foot into the wall, again, and again, and again, until his leg gave out in exhaustion, leaving a massive hole in the wall. Fitz's body shook, whether from anger, exhaustion, or fear he didn't know. Curling his knees to him he clenched every muscle, but the shaking didn't stop. He was cold, freezing, inside was a raging wild fire and outside was a blizzard. Breathing on his numb hands, he heard his door creak open a crack, before hitting the mattress.