Chapter Fourteen

Unedited.

"Kyle." Rose laughed as she let her best friend pull her along. "Just hold on. Hold on, we're almost there." Kyle said nervously.

Rose sighed, but smiled at her best friend's antics. Some sort of birthday surprise for her. She even had a blindfold over her eyes. Rose felt the car stop, "We're there?" She asked, as she reached for the blindfold. "Keep it on." Kyle practically shouted, as he turned off the car. Rose sighed and dropped her hands.

"Alright," Kyle said more calmly, though he still sounded nervous. "I need you to come to my wedding though." He said. "What?" Rose asked, her heart panicking, she turned to face Kyle which was stupid because she couldn't see him anyways. "You know the girl your going to marry?" She asked. Kyle hadn't been in any relationships for the past year and a half. "Yes, she's the most gorgeous, intelligent, smart, and fantastic person I have ever met." Kyle said. Rose felt terrified. She was going to lose her best friend. "So, I need you to answer. Will you come to my wedding?" He asked. "O-of course." Rose said, hating how she stuttered.

If Kyle left her, she'd be lost...completely. Broken, broken hearted. She loved Kyle, for such a long time she couldn't even remember when she first started loving him. "Good." Kyle's hand reached behind her, unpinning the blindfold. "I need you to wear white and come in after everyone else." He said shyly. Rose stared at the jewelry shop they were parked in front of. Looking between Kyle and the jewelry shop, Rose looked back at Kyle, "Rose your my best friend, and I couldn't think of anyone better I'd want to spend the rest of my life with. I know we haven't even dated, but I love you. I love you more than anythi- mmf." Rose pulled away blushing from her sudden kiss. "Yes." She said. Kyle looked like he had just been given the world.

"Really?" He asked. "Yes." Rose answered firmly. Kyle breathed a sigh of relief as he gently cupped her face and brought their heads closer. Gently he pressed their lips together.

Smiling Sophie shook the spy ball, and her friends blurred away. Kyle had finally admitted it, and Rose got the love of her life. "Show me Fitz Vacker." Sophie told the ball. The ball flashed and zoned in of Fitz kneeling in front of a girl, rubbing a salve on her scraped and bloody knee. Beside the girl sat a boy her age holding her hand. Fitz had taken care of them a few weeks ago. Sophie sighed, as the pools of teal observed this badly scraped knee.

He looked tired...and hurt. Hurt beyond healing. Sophie felt tears enter her own eyes, as she leaned farther back into the fluffy pillows. "Missing him are we?" Physic asked. "Ah! Ah! Ah!" Sophie winced as the lady unwrapped the poultice from her ankle. Sophie looked back at Fitz as he wiped off the extra salve off the healed knee. "Well once you come back from the dead, he can take care of you." Physic said putting a new poultice on Sophie's ankle. Had she been in her own body Sophie would have blushed.

"I heard he's doing pretty good as a physician." Physic continued. Sighing Sophie shook the ball. "When will I come back from the dead?" She asked. "Probably once you can properly walk on your own two feet without breaking your ankle." Physic teased. Sophie sighed, "Show me-"

"No." Physic took the ball. "I'll not have any more moping about, and you moaning and groaning about not being allowed to see them." She scolded. Sophie huffed, but knew if she looked at the others it'd tear at her heart again. Sophie sighed, Physic pulled off the last poultice. "There. You should be better now." She said. Sophie sat up off the bed and tested some weight on her ankle before standing. "There, see? You're fine. Now go creep around, I'll clean up here." Physic said pointing to chamber four. Sophie pulled on her sock and boot before walking out of the chamber, Sandor waited for her across the hall. Walking together they tread through the many tunnels.

Sophie stopped by Wylie's office, she looked in to the office. Wylie was bent over the desk writing. Sophie walked in. "Hello." She said sitting down. "Eliza." Wylie greeted. "Sandy is here too." Sophie said. Sandor gave a grunt, he still disliked the name. "Sandor." Wylie greeted as he set his pen aside and sat up straight. "So anything on those people?" Sophie asked. "No, I've had some people check into them, but nothing has come up so far." He said. Sophie sighed, "There will be a full gathering here in Eternalia in a month." Wylie said. "I'd like you to scout for me. Were expecting a lot of unrest, and also..." Wylie reached in his desk and pulled out a scroll handing it to Sophie.

Council,

We got Sophie, you're next.

Neverseen.

Beside the word was a seal, with the blind eye staring up at Sophie. "When did this come?" Sophie asked handing the note back. "Yesterday." Wylie answered. "Three weeks from my death." Sophie said. "Yeah, we figured they'd also know about the meeting." Wylie said. "You want me to warn you if I see anything?" Sophie asked. Wylie nodded, "Please. I also have another favor to ask...." Wylie said leaning forward.

~

Sophie sat on the roof of a building, looking down at the crowd that was nervously gathering elves. Dressed in black, Sophie watched every weak point being stabilized by more guards.

Sandor, who was still in elf form crouched beside her, on another post, that curved outward from the building. Then chains on Sophie's wrists felt cold and heavy. "There." Sandor said softly, nodding to a elf. Sophie should have been dizzy being up this high, but having taken an elixir for altitude sickness, she was able to look down without getting sick. "He's moved in the same pattern four times." Sandor said. "That's...that's Demise." Sophie said. "Don't. Don't talk to him. Just transmit." Sandor said. Sophie's other identities fell back, from closing in on the elf. Sophie focused on the elf.

"Demise." She said. The elf froze and he looked around. "Aren't you supposed to be dead Sophie?" He thought. "Some dead people don't stay dead. What are you doing here?" She asked. "Where are you?"

"That really isn't something you need to know. Just answer me."

"Iver and Brant are planning to unleash an attack here on everyone. They've go a whole herd of the dark elves."

"Where will they be coming from?" Sophie asked. "Below us." Demise answered. "A gnome has made a weakness in platform so it collapses." Demise said. "Where at?"

"Front right leg. That's not the only thing Sophie." Demise said. Sophie focused on the single still figure, "What is it?"

Demise looked around one last time for her, before giving up, even though there was another identity right in front of him talking nervously to a stranger. "He's having Brant and Fintan call down everblaze." Demise said. Sophie related the information to Sandor who growled, "Demise when is the plan to take place?" Sophie asked. "Right after the council is introduced to speak." Demise thought. Laying out the plans for Sophie, mentally. Sophie quickly told Sandor who moved his other identities around to make a strong hold. "Sophie, is Alvar really..." Demise trailed off.

"Yes."

"I'm sorry."

"Me too."

"I knew you two were close."

"Yeah. Well he saved us as well, your brother, how many of those dark elves is he bringing?"

"A thousand at least, maybe more."

Looking at the people below, Sophie forced her own counterparts around. In truth it was almost like a game. Moving pieces across the board, trying to protect treasures, but this was a very dangerous game, it was a bet, a gamble, and right now the stakes were to high for Sophie to risk anything.

"How do I get these people out of here without causing panic?"

"There is no way. Look at them, they think your dead, they realize the threat, they're scared and they finally realize just how dangerous my brother is."

"Can you stall them?"

"Not without my brother suspecting me."

"At least try to convince the children and parents to get out of here. Please."

Sophie whispered, but it was to late. The emissaries and their families had arrived. Sophie nearly fell off her perch, as she spotted Fitz. He stood tall, but in his stance was pain and his eyes were like pools of broken shards, that swam with unbidden tears. With twelve flashes of light the council appeared, and Sophie felt tension raise as the twelve took their seats on the platform. Sophie watched as the emissaries and families took their seats. Near the very back Sophie spotted the Dizznees, along with Grady and Edaline.

The stakes were far to high.

(And the battlefield is set!)