Chapter One {The Shadow Souls}

{Vanessa's POV}

     I sit up in pain and look around. I'm in the middle of a forest, my sword laying beside me. I look around more and see my friends beginning to sit up groggily as well.

     "M'Lord! Are you okay?" My head guard, and best friend since childhood, asked me.

     "Yes Jason. I'm fine."

     I look to my left and see Aphmau talking to Garroth, Laurence, and Dante. Aphmau is my sister, and the Lord of Phoenix Drop. Garroth is her head guard, Laurence is the second in command, and Dante is the third in command.

     "Does anyone know where we are?" I ask loud enough for everyone to hear.

     "Somewhere in the forest surrounding either your village or ours," Garroth answers.

     Ah. . .my village. I'm currently in the process of building my own village, Phoenix Flame. It's on a deserted island and I'll be the Lord. There are a few people that are willing to move in once it's finished, but Jason is my only guard, so Aphmau is letting Travis and Aaron fill in as guards until I can get my own.

     "I've found a path," Aaron, yet another person I've known since childhood, says. I walk over.

     "We're in the forest surrounding my village," I state.

     "How do you know?" Laurence asks.

     "The path. . .it's made of both gravel and cobblestone. However. . .the path to Phoenix Drop is made of just cobblestone. Anyways. . .let's follow it. . .it should lead us right to where the workers are building."

     "Yeah, let's go," Travis says.

     About ten minutes later I smell the copper-like scent of blood. Being a werewolf helps with that. I begin to panic.

     "Something's wrong!" I say.

     "What do you mean?" Travis asks.

     "I smell blood," I state.

     A minute or so later, we emerge through the trees to see the bodies of the construction workers scattered everywhere. Then Laurence says the words I never wanted to hear after what happened last time.

     "This was done by Shadow Souls," he says calmly. Almost too calmly. "There must be a Nether Portal somewhere nearby."

     "But I had Lucinda seal it!" I shout.

     "You knew it was here?" Aaron asks.

     "Yes. . .I tried to destroy it, but it had an indestructibility spell on it. So I had Lucinda seal it and I had Violet guar-Violet!" I took off running to where I had found the almost perfectly hidden Nether Portal, the others following closely.

     I reach the mouth of a large cave and enter. My adoptive sister's, Violet and Valerie, are laying in front of the Nether Portal, dead.

     "No!" I yell, dropping to my knees as I begin to cry.

     "Nessa?" Melody and Harmony, the Meif'wa twins, say in unison.

     "Go away!" I shout, standing up and spinning around to face everyone. As I do, I see two tiny heads duck behind a rock. I immediately recognized them as McKayla and Maxwell. Jason's little brother and sister. They're seven year old twins.

     The Nether Portal starts humming behind me. I turn around and more Shadow Souls start coming through.

     "Run!" Katelyn yells.We all start running. As I pass the rock, I grab Kayla and Max and continue running. Suddenly, something grabs me and pulls me backwards. I shove Kayla and Max forward.

     "Follow the others!" I shout, and they obeyed, following everyone else.

     At that moment, Jason turns around.

     "Nessie!" He screams and runs this way, dodging Shadow Souls.

     "Just go!" I shout, but he doesn't listen. Before I have time to think, I'm surrounded by fire, lava, and nether rack. The last thing I see is Jason coming through the portal, just to be attacked by more Shadow Souls. Then, everything starts fading away. . .until it's nothing but darkness.