Chapter Seven {The Divine Library}

{Jason's POV}

     Vanessa's finally awake. I just tried waking her up for hours. I finally woke her up. I grab her and pull her into a hug when she sits up.

     "It's too early," she groans tiredly.

     "It's lunch time. Get over it," I say as I laugh. Irene, it has been so long since I've seen her gorgeous face. She groans again as she stands up. I grab her hand and pull her down the stairs when I suddenly remember something. . .her sister.

     "Stay here!" I say. I run into the living room.

     "Vi!" I whisper-yell at Violet.

     "What?" she asks, turning to me.

     "In the kitchen, now!" I say.

     She shuffles into the kitchen. I ran back to Nessa and grab her hand.

     "Come on!" I say.

     "What's the hurry Jase?" She groans.

     "I have news!" I say and she freezes.

     "Good or bad?" She asks hesitantly.

     "Both?" I say sheepishly and all signs of the Vanessa I saw ten seconds ago disappears. Her face is serious and she isn't complaining anymore.

     "What kind of news?" She asks.

     "Your sister-," I start but she interrupts.

     "Is dead."

     "Is alive," I correct.

     "No. . .she isn't."

     "Vi!" I call. Violet steps into the living room and Vanessa's jaw drops.

     "Violet?!" She runs and wraps her long lost sister in a giant hug, but instantly lets go.

     "Cy!" she shouts. She seems panicked.

     "What?" I ask.

     "Cy!" she says in a matter-of-fact tone.

     "Who's that?" I ask, then suddenly, we hear the front door swing open and slam shut.

     "I'm here everyone! I'm not dead! I promise I'm not dead!" I hear a voice yell, then a seemingly panicked girl with red hair that fades to purple rushes in. She's wearing a baseball cap and black square-rimmed glasses. She has bright blue eyes.

     "Cy!" Vanessa yells again and runs to hug the girl. I'm assuming that would be Cy. Vanessa lets her go and turns to me.

     "This is Cy. She's the girl having the dreams." She says.

     "Oh." I say. Suddenly, Vanessa turns her head to the door and she just stares, she stays like that for three straight minutes before someone finally speaks up, that someone being me.

     "Vanessa?" I ask.

     No response.

     "Nessie?" Nothing. I walk over slowly, skeptically. I put my hand on her shoulder, startling her. Her head snaps up to look at me and I jump backwards. Something's wrong with her eyes. They're not their normal, baby blue color. They're black, literally pitch black orbs against the whites of her eyes.

     "Vanessa? W-what is wrong with your e-eyes?" I ask, then she quickly takes off towards the door. Faster than I thought she could run, especially with an injured foot.

     "Come on!" I shout to everyone, and they all follow.

     "Why are we chasing her?" McKayla asks.

     "Because something is terribly wrong. Her eyes were black. Like, pitch black." I say. We chased her for about twenty minutes when she entered the woods at a normal pace. We continue following. We approach a giant, flat stone wall. There are carvings chiseled into it. She says six words in a voice that's not her own. Not entirely at least.

     "Open the Library of the Divine."

     The wall starts to glow in the center and it splits. Each side turns a different way, opening like suicide doors on a car, and we see a long path. She begins walking down that path and freezes. She turns to me. Her eyes are back to normal.

     "Jason?" She says, terrified. "W-where are we?"

     "I don't know. . .you're the one that brought us here." I say.

     "What?"

     "You brought us here and seemed to know how to get in, we might as well see what it is and keep going." She turns and continues walking a lot slower.

     "Y-yeah, sure."

     We approach a pew in the center of the long hallway we were walking down. On the pew sat a book. Vanessa looks to me. I nod. She begins to read out loud, starting with the title.

     "The History of the Healer." An old fairy tale her mom used to read us. I remember it, but not too well. The main character was a Divine Warrior or the descendant of one. Although, for the life of me, I can't remember her name. I know there was Lyla the Healer, one of the many Goddesses, but the girls real name escapes me.

     "Keep reading." I say. She nods and opens it to the first page. She reads it silently first, but before reading it out loud, she drops it.

     "What's wrong?" I ask and bend to pick it up. She snatches it up.

     "Don't touch it!" She shouts in the same voice from before. Her eyes are once again black. "This is my life's work!"

     "Oh my Irene. What are you talking about?"

     Her eyes change to baby blue again and she reads out loud in a shaky voice, "Hello. I'm Vanessa Rosewood, and this is my story. The History of the Healer."

     Everyone's jaws drop. She flips to the next page. She hesitates.

     "Read it!" I say.

     "I sit up in pain and look around. I'm in the middle of a forest, my sword laying beside me. I look around more and see my friends beginning to sit up groggily as well.

     'M'Lord! Are you okay?' My head guard, and best friend since childhood, asked me.

     'Yes Jason. I'm fine.'"

     She didn't even continue reading. She looks terrified.

     "That was the dream I had the other day. This book says I'm the author." The book fell out of her hands and she drops to her knees. "What in the name of Irene is happening and why?! What are these dreams?!" She's shouting. Then something falls off of a nearly invisible shelf. Another book. She silences herself and stares at it.

     "Cy?" she asks. Cy nods at her.

     Cy walks over and picks it up. She reads the title.

     "The Workings of The Warrior." She reads. Another old fairy tale. That one is about Siri the Warrior. She opens to the first page.

     "Hello. I'm Cylia Lynn, and this is my story. The Workings of the Warrior." She looks up with eyes as wide as saucers.

     "What in the name of Irene is going on here?" I ask and everyone looks at me as if to say, 'My guess is as good as yours.'