Freedom

Demion was chained and pinned to a crucifix on the prison wall with iron rods for as long as he could remember. It didn't hurt, not anymore. He didn't feel or maybe he couldn't. The only problem was the silence. He couldn't talk. How could he? His head had been chopped off. Still he was alive, conscious, awake.

His thoughts were a mixture of everything he could think off. A blur. At times he wished to scream. But he couldn't. His beheaded throat would not allow that. Of course it wasn't. Without food or water. And without a vocal cord it was impossible. His body was now only a bunch of bones. He was pretty sure his internal organs had rotten away by now. But not to worry. He had his right arm. The only arm he had. It was pretty special. It had a mouth on its palm. Five on the upper side of the arm and six on the lower side. With these he would talk to himself, sometimes. It was one of the advantages of being a hybrid born of magic and alchemy.

The warden walked up to his cell. "Get ready, you monster.", he chuckled as he opened the door. "Your salvation is here. For greater good, you shall die today."

Demion would've chuckled back. If he had a head. Instead the mouths on his right arm gave a faint smile. A cynical smile.

"Huh. So this is it. My end... after all these annoying 7 years.", he sighed. More accurately, his hand did.

The holy knights following the warden entered the cell and dragged out Demion along with the cross. Dragged him all the way to the throne room, in front of the king.

Every man, woman and child present in the room watched with anticipation as Demion was being dragged across.

The great king of Skelen, resting on his throne of gold. The king looked away in disgust at the sight of the head-less creature in front of him.

Demion felt the king's gaze and all the different eyes checking out his head-less, cryptid body.

"Looks like his majesty has found a way to get rid off me.", he bowed slightly out of mocking respect.

The king frowned then started, "We sure have found a way to dispose you out of your misery. And we shall celebrate today as the day, the reason for Skelen's misery dies."

Demion didn't respond. He... really was the reason for Skelen's misery. Seven years ago he wiped out one-third of the nation out of maps with all its living. But it was unavoidable, they would never understand...

Pointing towards a man in fur cloak, the king announced, "This man, Aracius. From the northern frontiers. He has been a trusted mage of our nation. He can kill this monster of a creature."

Demion wondered. He felt like he had heard the name somewhere before. Even his mana felt familiar. But nothing came to him. Maybe it was a side effect of being headless. But what pondered him more was that he could be killed. It was news to him.

Turning towards the audience, Aracius confirmed, "I know how to kill this monster made from alchemy & magic."

Everyone in the room cheered, "Kill that thing! Kill that thing!" They were happy, really happy. Overjoyed even.

"Doo ittt!!!!", The king ordered.

Aracius walked up to Demion as the crowd cheered him on. Demion shuddered. Not that he was afraid to die. Just a bit sad that no one heard his side of the story.

Aracius fished out a vial containing little red pills from his satchel. Showing them to the crowd he said, "My people. These pills are made from hydra venom and as you may have heard, nothing can survive hydra venom. Not even this monster of a creature."

The crowd cheered even harder, "Kill that thing! Do it! Die monster! Hail lord Aracius!"

On the crowds command Aracius tossed the pills down Demion's open throat and backed away. Something happened but not what was expected.

Instead of dying, Demion's skinny, bony body buffed up to its original shape. He wasn't skinny anymore, not bony anymore. All of his strength rushing back. Even though he was one-handed and headless, he broke free from the chains, the thick iron rods he was pinned with, in an instant.

The sight of this caused the crowd to break into chaos. People ran in all directions, away from the monster they feared the most.

The holy knights on guard drew their swords to stop him, but got their heads flying across the room with kicks. Demion's strength could only be described as inhuman.

"This isn't hydra venom. This is elixir of life from the god tree. Then you..."

Aracius cut Demion off, "Yes. Aracius, apprentice of the alchemist. From the island."

"Knights atttaaaccckkk!!!", The king shouted as he was finally able to grasp the situation at hand.

"Revincio!", Aracius chanted with his hand high in the air.

The charging knights stopped moving as if turned to statues.

"A binding rune?"

"Yes.", Aracius answered. "The alchemist has summoned you back."

"Okay. But before we leave, I need a new head. Tell me who has the most beautiful face here."

"That would be prince Hadrian.", Aracius answered pointing towards a young lad with raven hair and emerald eyes.

Not that Demion could see him but he could feel the prince through magic, his sixth sense. Demion went up to him, pulled out the sword from the prince's belt and whispered, "I just needed a head." And freed the prince's head from the body in one slash. Placed it on his neck.

The flesh joined in an instant, leaving only a faint scar. He moved around his neck a bit, adjusting to the new head.

"Now, let's leave.", Demion said, the edges of his lips curving into a faint smile.

Aracius spelled, "Ianuae Magicae!"

A magic circle appeared on the floor where they were standing and they vanished... Reappearing on a cliff outside the castle, the capital.

It was after a very long time that Demion felt wind blowing against his face, heat of the shining Sun. "Freedom.", he whispered.

"Let's go. The alchemist is waiting.", Aracius turned to leave.

"Wait. This place has my gratitude for caging me up for as long as I remember. So, as a parting gift...", Demion reached out his hand in the direction of the castle. "Hunter Phoenix!"

The mouth on his palm spat out an ember. The ember floated up the sky and grew bigger and bigger until it turned into a phoenix as big as the castle itself. The phoenix embraced within its wings, turned into a ball of fire as hot as the Sun itself and exploded. The miniature Sun vaporised the castle in an instant. Leaving the capital in charred ruins, smoke and ashes.

"Now, let's go. I want back my left arm..."

A/N: So... how was the first chapter? Don't forget to comment, I would love any feedback you have. And vote if you enjoyed.