Esker in Lethiel: Part 2

Esker POV

"Hey wake up!"

Someone's calling me? And I'm being shaken. Why?... And why is it so dark, like a black out?...

My eyes shot open. "Bright!", I grumbled covering my eyes & struggling to sit up. As my eyes adjusted to the gush of light, I saw a fat man staring at me. And I found myself lying on a bench. What the heck? I got up, totally confused, clueless of what was going on.

"Hey you, you've slept enough. Get out of my shop.", the fat man croaked. "This is what happens when you drink all night..."

What's he babbling about? Better get out of here... I walked out of the tavern, trying to remember why I was in there in the first place. On getting out something caught my sight, a bunch of village folk gathered around something. What's happening there?

Pushing them aside, I reached the centre. I shuddered, stepped back, there was a white horse lying dead with all of its legs broken, twisted at crazy angles. Jet?! How? Who? Wait, I remember. I tied up Jet to a post and went inside... that tavern. And then that waitress... That waitress! What was her name? Matilda! She kissed me out of nowhere and... I dozed off. Damn shit! But are these two events even linkable?

"Hey are you all right?"
"Look, he's steaming."
"Yeah. What's wrong with him?"
"Better stay away from him."

People around me were whispering among themselves & giving me strange glares. I realized I was steaming. I had turned myself too cold, the air was around me was rapidly being condensed into fog. All because of my spoiled up mood. But humans freaking out at fog & steam are the least of my worries. Right now, I need to find that girl!

I ran inside the tavern. The fat guy saw me and frowned, "What do you nee-" He couldn't finish as I grabbed his face and threw him over a nearby bench. He let out a painful moan with a painful expression. "Where is she?", I asked, cold.

"Who?", he groaned.

"Don't joke me human! Where is your waitress? Where is Matilda!"

"Aahhh! Too cold too cold", he cried, struggled to push my hand off his face. "I don't know off who you're talking about. I don't know this Matilda!"

I glanced into his eyes, full of fear and astonishment. Damn, this fatass knows nothing...
.
.
.
This is a pain, to walk. I need a horse. If I've to walk to the capital of Lethiel... it will take me a whole another week. I definitely need some form of transport. Now that I think, was Jet killed to stop me from reaching the capital? But it was odd, I still have the letter from the king. But then why was Jet killed? And how in hell did I fell asleep? My body isn't biological, it's formed of snow dust with a necrokinesis orb as my core. So I don't need to sleep or eat. That means... I must have been spelled. But when? I didn't drink anything so it must've been... when Matilda kissed me. But why, it doesn't adds up, she didn't took the letter from the king but killed Jet? Matilda... I have to find her. She tricked me, made fun of me and spelled me into sleep with a kiss. Who was she? Was I played by a bar waitress? Never! Now that I think, she was too beautiful for a bar waitress. And her crimson eyes, I don't think people of the mountain have anything to do with eyes like that. But how to find her, I'm not any sensory mage like Aracius so I can't track her down.

My mind was full of thoughts of that girl, Matilda. How to find her, where to find her, what are her intentions,... This girl, she got me totally hooked. Actually I wanted to know more about her, her smile, her annoying smile and her crimson eyes that seemed to hold secrets deep down. And then that kiss...

" Are you thinking about me?", she said, only inches away from my face.

I would've jumped back but I was too stunned for that. Is she really standing right in front of me? With that same annoying smile in her face. Is this a dream? I don't know and I was dumb struck. "Matilda...", was all that I could say.