Back In Skelen

Aracius looked up. Well-oiled metal hinges turned open, letting entry to General Helios. He looked around to check if everything was all right. All guards in their assigned positions, Helios frowned in disappointment. This time around, he expected something to be out of place. But his prisoner was unexpectedly calm, sitting cross-legged with a friendly smile on his face.

Aracius had been sitting cross-legged for too long, the iron bench was hurting his legs. He dropped his legs on the floor, rubbing his knees through his prison uniform. Cracked knuckles & scratched his back palms, in faint hopes of removing the black crosses over them. Anti-magic curse marks, impeding him from using magic. As far as Aracius knew, he was in a underground dungeon. Caged inside... a cage, not a cell. From the stench and size, he deducted the cage held a bear before him. Guards were swarming around, eyes on his every movement.

Helios took the only spare chair inside the cage. "So how's all going?", Helios coughed as the back of his mouth tried to adjust with the fetor.

Aracius questioned himself what would be the perfect answer. Should he express his discontent about the bear stench, the low quality food disposed to him or the taunting of the guards? Maybe not. If you wanted to save the continent from the hell of battle, then you have to digest all this shit. "Well met. As good as ever.", he grinned. "How's your day, General?"

"Normal.", Helios coughed. "I know I've asked this before but still, have any idea on the position of Esker? You know, he went missing."

Aracius had been interrogated a dozen times before. And every time, it started with the same question. When he heard about Esker being missing for the first time, he was puzzled. But Now, he knew his answer didn't matter, his body language did. The aim was to know, if Aracius had any connections to the outside world. And fortunately for Helios, Aracius didn't had any. But you can't just believe the words of someone who has connections with the demon of sorrows & an ice monster. Helios was observing Aracius, keeping a keen eye on him, examining from tip to toe. Trying to get hints.

"No. But don't worry, he's trustful.", Aracius replied, hopeful.

"If you say...", Helios was disappointed. "Now, moving on to......"
.
.
.
The interrogation proceeded for about another 20 minutes, Aracius was faced with all kinds of enquiry & stuff. In which he tried his level best not to look anymore suspicious.

And just when Aracius thought Helios was going to leave, Helios asked, "The mage who betrayed the King of Skelen, freed the demon of sorrows... Was that you?"

Aracius was perplexed, bemused & filled with bewilderment. He was at sea, desparetely searching for an acceptable answer. If he said no, it surely would sound ridiculous. Who else would be better suited than someone who can teleport himself? And if he said yes,... he was sure before anyone else that wild princess would kill him. And that would be the end of it. No treaty between the great nations.

"I ask, was that you?", Helios repeated.

"I was.", Aracius said. He took his chances with the truth. After all, playing fox with your allies can backfire anytime.

"I see.", Helios sighed. "Well then, until next time..." He stood up and left.

=============================

Skelen
Riding down the familiar streets of Skelen, Demion felt a bit of rue for the place. It's only been a few of weeks but his surroundings were all rotten & filthy. Streets covered in excrements and rotting food, intoxicated humans lying along roadside. Air full of blood stench, indicating recent mob conflicts. The city of Obidos, one of the biggest cities of Skelen, now seemed to be dying under mob-rule. Demion didn't wished to come to this place but Yeathein didn't had any boundaries with Adelham, so he had to cross Skelen. He gave the reins another jerk and drove on through the crowd.