The Alchemist

Demion was silent. He had been like this for the past 6 days. Aracius was at his limit, breathless. They had been walking like this, non-stop. No sleep, no food, only walking, walking, walking...

Aracius mentally calculated the distance traversed was around 1200 miles. They had crossed vast wastelands, entire forests, jumping from tree to tree, branch to branch. And now, walking the ocean.

Walking on water surface took a considerable amount of mana when done over great distances, consuming the user's stamina rather quickly. Even thought he was a S-rank mage, he was already at his limit, about to pass out.

"Wait!", He muttered somehow.

"I know today counts the 7th day. We haven't eaten or drunk anything for 6 days and have been walking non-stop. But mages can survive without food for six month and without water for about a week. Today isn't over yet..."

Aracius had already expected as much, Demion wasn't concerned about him at all. The only thing that mattered to him was reaching the island.

Aracius scratched his neck on the thought of water. His mouth felt drier than ice. He could've used a mixture of earth and water magic to extract salt out of sea water, making it drinkable. But it would risk that even before they reached the island he might run out of mana and drown. And he was sure Demion wouldn't help. He won't bother to look back. For now, all Aracius could do was try to keep up with Demion, deal with his ever-lasting silence, hear to the fast winds and the slow claps from Demion's bare foot walking on water.

"Hey, if you've noticed. These seagulls are following us for quite sometime."

Aracius looked up at the sky, finding a colony of seagulls circling. "It's the alchemist. He sees everything.", He muttered, assuring Demion they were close to the island.

Demion looked a bit more desperate or at least he looked like that, from the back. His feet were moving a bit faster.

As they were nearing the island, the weather changed. Winds began to blow harder, the calm breeze blowing a moment ago was now raging and screaming. Colossal black clouds hovering the sky, thundering in rage. The sea also joined in, the water started to swell up.

"We sure have bad weather luck.", Demion remarked looking up.

"Impetus Dolores", Aracius sighed, breathless. "A storm spell that keeps wandering ships away from the island."

"I see. So, it's not for us. We'll continue through."

It had started to rain pretty hard, purple lightning covered the whole sky. Aracius thought he was listening to noises, from weakness. Probably hallucinating. Was Demion really thinking about crossing the storm?? Was he really thinking about crossing waves 50 ft high? Waves that can snap ships like twigs? Winds that can blow away entire ships?

"Don't tell me you're going to cross the Impetus Dolores?!", Aracius almost shouted making Demion turn.

"I am. Sounds like you can't teleport us directly to the island right now and I'm not waiting for you."

"You don't understand! We are still a few miles away from the island. That's why you think so. This storm is unlike anything you've ever seen!", Aracius argued.

"Well, I'm seeing a storm after 6 years so, I can't compare it with anything else...", Demion finished or maybe he didn't. Either way, a man dressed in white robes and baggy pants jumped out of the water cutting him off.

"Ianuae Magicae!", The man spelled, teleporting all of them on a rocky shoreline.

The man had a deep tan and was of large muscular build. His long white hair was kept in a ponytail. Aracius recognized him at first sight, it was the alchemist, but Demion did not.