Esker in Lethiel: Part 1

Esker POV

"Come on!!! How can you slow down again! We've only rode around 90 miles since this morning!", I yelled, cried & begged at Jet, pulling the reins & kicking his sides.

This horse, is really getting on my nerves now! For the past 3 days it has been like this, after every 30 - 35 miles it's out of breadth. And those Adelhamian basterds said that it's one of their best.

"I've been cheated, it's not even cantering!", I cried out loud at Jet. Only to hear his breathless huffs.

I looked up at the sky, it was dark, starry & a thin crescent was visible. The crescent was almost over the head, almost mid-night. If I remember correctly, after another half a mile there should be a big village.

"Come on stupid horse! Just a half a mile more & you can rest. Now, come on run!", I gave a hasty pull on the rein, making Jet move.

He's walking but at least he's moving, wonder how much time it'll take to go this half a mile.
.
.
.
It was big, as far as I could understand from the map on the signboard. 'Woodhurst' it read. I've reached the village. Jet looked like he was going to pass out & fall down any moment now, I got down. Geez why did I pitied on this donkey of a horse.

I was wandering on the streets, wondering what should be done, staring at the houses grouped on both sides of the street. And then I heard noises, human noises. Although they were quite diverse, one was like screaming, another was like someone singing his heart out. The moon's over the head, what the heck are those humans doing at this hour??

I felt a slight pull on the reins, turned around to see Jet. He pulled the reins & gave a neigh. You think I should check it out? Let's go and see...

After a few steps in the direction of the noise everything absolved, a tavern. Makes sense, mad winos. This road connects to the capital of the kingdom of Lethiel, no surprise if someone opens up a bar on this busy route, good business strategy.

I entered the tavern, pushing the door open. It crooked and wailed, moving on well rusted hinges. The amount of filth on the floor was well noticeable, all kinds of crap and mud, bottles & spilled food. And the people, some were gulping down on their bottles, some lying unconscious, some gambling unconscious and a freakshow was singing his heart out.

I sat down on a bench near the counter. Wonder why I'm here, oh yeah, coz my donkey of a horse needs rest.

"Where are you from? I haven't seen you before."

"Eh?", I looked up to see a girl with a bottle in her hand. A waitress I suppose. "I don't need booze. Don't bother me."

At that she sat down beside me, " First your cloths are wierd, your looks are wierd and now you don't need booze?"

What the hell! I glanced her up and down, definitely a bar waitress. How dare this human judge my clothing & looks. I sighed her to go away, "You talk to much for a bar waitress."

"Who wears a half-circle coat over a sleeveless, unbuttoned hoodie? I've never seen cloths like that.",she commented with a smirk.

"Don't bother me."

She poured booze in a goblet and slipped it to me. "Don't be such a bum."

Is she deaf, I just told I don't need it. And why is she bothering me? Suddenly I saw her fingers rushing in until they were over my face. "So what about this strange tattoo here?", she asked, trassing it out with her fingers.

What in the world's wrong with this human?! I know she's drunk, I can smell booze all over her. But this is... "Get away!", I barked, slapping her hands off.