Bright Future

Hello, everyone! I am back with Chapter 13 of The Summer I Fell in Love. I have decided that I will be continuing this series for a few more chapters. After that, I will be adding more stories about Nick and Jordan, to make The Summer I Fell in Love a series. I already have an idea of where I want to go with that, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know in the comments, or send me a private message. I hope you all enjoy, and as always, please RATE, REVIEW, and FOLLOW this story, and FOLLOW ME to get updates on new stories.

Jordan's POV:

As I lie awake in early January of the new year, 1923, I only had one thing on my mind. The future. The unknown can be a frightening thing when you think deeply about. All I wanted to do right now was to be able to sleep soundly next to my husband, but our baby had other plans tonight. At seven months along, our child seemed to be quite hyperactive in the evening, leaving me unable to sleep.

My future seemed to be exciting just a few months ago, however, with the baby due to arrive in two months, I was honestly scared. Am I going to be a good mother? Will I make good choices to benefit my child? Those thoughts seemed to be the only ones rolling through my head these days.

I look over to Nick at his sleeping form. He was on his back, with his head tilted towards me. His lips were slightly parted, and his hair was disheveled, with one piece of it swooping down into his face. Not thinking, I moved his hair back into place, and ran my fingers through it. All of a sudden, his eyes open.

I say in a hushed whisper, "I'm sorry darling, I didn't mean to wake you."

As I am sitting up in bed, with my back propped against pillows, Nick brings himself to my side, and wraps his arm around my growing stomach.

"It's alright, lovey. Why are you still awake?" He says in a sleepy tone.

"Well, our child likes to keep their mother up at all hours of the night. I believe they are running a marathon as we speak."

Nick lets out a chuckle, "I know, I can feel the baby kicking up a storm."

We both laugh a moment, and enjoy a few moments of silence. Even though I was being comforted by my loving husband, my fears regarding the future were still crossing my mind.

"Nick..."

"Yes honey?"

"Do you think I'm going to be a good mother?"

He sat up, rather alertly, and was squinting at my with his tired eyes. "Why do you ask that, Jordan?"

"Well, I've just been thinking about the future lately, and honestly Nick, I'm scared. I just hope that I won't be the worst mother on the planet to our baby."

Nick sat up and wrapped his arm around me, and I lazily laid my head on his shoulder; "I think you're going to be an amazing mother. You're so kind, and patient, and extremely loving. Our baby is going to love you unconditionally, and I know that you love this child more than life itself."

I turned my head to face him, and kissed him on the lips. "Thank you darling, the future is just a little scary sometimes."

Nick nodded in agreement; "I know love, it is scary. I'm afraid that my book's aren't going to do very well, and I won't be able to provide for my family. I'm afraid of not being a good father. But, I'm going to do my best, and that's all that matters. I think we are going to be just fine. We're a great team Jordan, not a whole hell of a lot can stop us."

Sometimes, all I needed was Nick's reassuring words to make me feel better. Sure, the future was uncertain, but with Nick by my side, I knew in my heart that everything was going to work out just fine.

Nick and I were enjoying these blissful moments together. Our hands were resting on top of each other on my growing abdomen. All of a sudden, our hands were jolted by a strong kick.

We both looked at one another and laughed. Our baby must have known that their mother and father were thinking about them.

Nick and I held hands in our bed for a while, and then I peered over to my nightstand and saw my book of baby names. I grabbed it, and started browsing the pages.

Nick looked down at the book; "Have you thought of any baby names, love?"

I had so many pages marked, and I began to read the ones I liked aloud. "Well, for a girl, I like Catherine, Ruby, Jane, or Elsie. What do you think?"

Nick grinned to himself; "I quite like Catherine, or Jane. Both are cute to me. Catherine Jane Carraway... I like the sound of that, what do you think love?"

I read the name over and over in my mind, Catherine Jane Carraway; "Catherine Jane Carraway, I actually really like the sound of that. I think we have found the name for our baby if it's a girl. I already have a boys name in mind if that's okay, Nick."

"What name were you thinking?"

"Well, at first I was thinking of naming a boy after you, so we would have a Nicholas James Carraway Junior. Or, I was thinking about flipping your first and middle name, to James Nicholas Carraway."

Nick kissed my temple and replied; "I would love to have a son named after me, Jordan. You're so sweet to think of that, but I want our son to have their own name. So, I think I'm leaning towards James Nicholas Carraway."

I smiled in happiness and placed my hand on my stomach; "I think that's a lovely idea."

I glanced down at my stomach, and said "Catherine Jane or James Nicholas, your mommy and daddy cannot wait to meet you!"

Nick and I both smiled. I reached over to my nightstand and turned out the light, and laid down and snuggled up close to Nick. Yes, the future was unknown, but it was looking quite bright.