Change of Pace

Hello, everyone! I apologize for the lack of updates, however, it has been a busy few weeks for me! Without further hesitation, here is Chapter 18 of The Summer I Fell in Love.

Nick's POV:

I awoke naturally on this beautiful May day in Cape Cod. Our bedroom windows were open, and a sea breeze floated in through the curtains. The sunshine peaked through the window panes, and onto our bed, prompting me to awake.

Jordan and I had certainly rekindled our romance for one another upon our arrival, now it was time to explore, and have some quality time as husband and wife.

I peered over at Jordan and gazed at her sleeping form. No matter what, I never get tired of looking at her while she's sleeping. Her lips are always slightly curved, and her hair disheveled, and she wasn't adorning her typical makeup, however to me, I found her as beautiful as ever.

Another sea breeze came along, giving Jordan a chill. She curls up closer to me, and fastens the blankets tightly around her.

I placed my arm around her, and shook her carefully.

"Jordan... honey..."

She groaned at me, "Oh Nick, five more minutes."

I chuckled, "Darling, it's nearly nine o'clock! Don't you want to see the sites that Cape Cod has to offer?"

She shot up immediately and looked at the clock; "Oh my gosh, I haven't slept this late in months, I can't believe you let me sleep this long!"

"Oh Jordan, relax! We're having a little getaway. You could sleep all day if you wanted to."

"But darling, I can't help but feel incredibly lazy."

"Jordan, you have been getting up at the crack of dawn ever since Catherine's been born. You deserve a little rest!."

"Oh honey, I don't mind it, in fact I enjoy it! I actually am missing our little girl quite a bit. She keeps me pretty busy you know."

I laughed at her witty sarcasm; "Oh I know, she occupies quite a lot of our time."

Jordan grinned at me, and leaned up against me, and hair head fell lazily against my shoulder. We held hands in our massive bed, and looked out the window and gazed at the sea. I lived for the simple things in life such as this. We were just two people, so in love, and just happy to be in each others company.

I placed a kiss on top of Jordan's head, and I got out of bed and got ready to start our day. Jordan soon followed, and unlike the previous day, we made it out the door without any distractions.

I swear, Jordan could look beautiful in any sort of situation. Today, she was fairly casual, and wore a linen sheath dress, and her small round sunglasses with a hat. She was wearing minimal makeup, but she looked absolutely darling. She could go from looking like a model one minute, to in her pajamas the next, and still she would be the most beautiful girl on the planet.

We made our way to the beautiful cafe's and shops that were nestled in Cape Cod. Being here was such a change of pace from being in the city. There was no rush, the only noise was the waves crashing off in the distance. We window shopped, and sipped coffee. Although Jordan and I were city people at heart, this was a great way to wind down, and clear our heads.

In the mid-afternoon, Jordan and I made our way to the beach to walk up and down the coast. We took off our shoes, and hand in hand, we walked barefoot in the sand. There was something so poetic about the beach. The softness of the sand, and tenacity of the waves, were all music to my ears.

We both walked in silence for a while, and simultaneously, we both look over at each other. We both laughed, and I said to Jordan; "Darling, are you having a nice time?"

"Oh Nicky, this has been wonderful. I love spending this time with you. I was really missing this one on one time with you. I'm just glad that we got to have a little getaway."

I raised her hand to my lips and placed a kiss on the back of her hand; "Me too, love."

"But, I am slightly anxious to get home. I miss that little girl of ours."

I smiled, and nodded in agreement; "I know, I miss my little princess."

Jordan giggled at me; "She sure is a daddy's girl. She has you wrapped around her little finger Mr. Carraway."

I rolled my eyes and smiled; "She does not! I am just a doting father to Catherine."

"Nicky, Catherine is only a few months old, and you already spoil her. I swear you get her a new toy every week."

It's true, she had a point. Every week, when I have to go into the city to meet with my editor, I stop at a little toy store, or a department store and get something for Catherine. I couldn't help it. That baby girl has stolen my heart, and I am smitten with her.

Jordan and I continued our walk, and continued to gush about our adorable little Catherine. I missed our baby girl, however, all of this talk of our baby made me want to expand our family. I thought about having another little one around in a year or two, and the thought of that made me smile.

"Why are you grinning all of a sudden, Nick?" Jordan said to me.

"Oh I was just thinking about you, and me, and Catherine."

"What about?" Jordan replied.

"Just about how much I love our little family. And hopefully one day, we can add on to our family tree."

Jordan stopped walking and turned to face me. She gazed up and smiled. "Nicky, darling, there is nothing I would love more than to have more babies with you."

I smiled and placed a tender kiss on her lips. "After all, we have such a good time making them, don't we?"

Jordan burst out laughing and playfully swatted me on the arm. "Oh Nick stop that. But I really would love to have another baby someday. After all, you and I make pretty cute little ones, don't we?"

I laughed and nodded in agreement; "We certainly do darling."

We continued our walk up the shore, and during the remainder of that time, I was feeling incredibly grateful for my marriage and our little family. This trip was just the change of pace that Jordan and I needed.