CHAPTER TWO - ZOO: part 2

expect nothing. live frugally on surprise.

-  Alice Walker

[FARREN]

Genetics had meant she was uncoordinated in her build. Short torso paired with long legs, so often had been subjected to her disappointment but in that moment they meant she could sprint up the idle escalators with lightening speed. It would have been faster if the metal stairs weren't standing still- but she couldn't really complain.

Farren's hair, thick and heavy, whipped at the space between her shoulders wildly as she ran towards the first floor and whilst in full-motion- like you would –she threw both her small palms on top of her head to prevent her newly borrowed cap from slipping off it. She didn't even have the time to imagine how silly she looked.

The sole of her shoes, begging for attention again, strained against the floor as she came to a sudden stop- luckily too as she landed within close proximity of the horrid mechanical voice. She didn't know whether it bored or terrified her, but having to listen to it repeatedly kind of dulled its menace, it was more like an annoying squeaky toy by that point in her life- and she'd do anything to shut it up.

From a few steps back, Farren watched the Dalek roll towards a wide-eyed man in a brown, pinstripe suit matched with pale shoes and a billowing, tan trench coat.

"THE DOCTOR WILL BE EXTERMINATED!" The machine shrieked almost frustrated, as if those words were on its robotic cadence far too often, it's 'arm' was carefully poised to aim and fire.

Farren's eyes scanned the skimpy man, drinking in his spiked brown hair that stuck upwards as he fumbled about his pockets. He seemed nervous. Still, the young girl held his image in her mind and willed her physical form to warp. From top to bottom, like a liquid was being poured over her head, she mirrored the appearance of the funny looking man almost perfectly- just in time too as he was on the very verge of being obliterated.

"The Doctor? Weird name, is that me then?" Farren challenged in her tone, stepping closer to the machine and kicking her toes onto its metal surface. She frowned whilst assessing the new voice that hummed through her vocal cords, bit not satisfied with it. "Oh, I sound weird."

The Dalek's head spun around almost rabidly, the lower half of its metal casing followed suit and if Farren hadn't- in her new form –ducked and pushed herself away, the eye stalk would have probably knocked her out cold. "Sorry, but that's a bit rude." Her words were a squeak in a manly voice and she stifled a laugh, much more focused on how she could very well be minutes away from death.

The man, previously on the edge of his impending demise- now bewildered, stared on at the scene unfolding with wide eyes. He had witnessed the way the human-looking teenager morphed to replicate him. Glasses, coat, sticky-uppy hair and all.

"Do I sound like that? -- I don't sound like that." He complained once he'd swallowed down the shock. For the moment the anomaly was his saving grace. The Dalek then twisted back around to him, it had begun to build some form of doubt.

"Oh I'm not happy about it either- Oi! Over here!" Farren called wildly, successfully drawing the Dalek's attention back to her and running backwards. She didn't even dare blink as it rolled closer and the feeling of new feet in weirdly worn out shoes almost had her tripping onto her back, her body and mind clearly not quite used to the new form she'd assumed.

Farren had morphed on whim, to an entirely new and strange physical build that had her feeling uneasy. Even though her biology never changed, the exterior changes- every cell reforming and recoding –made her horridly light-headed.