CHAPTER NINE - PLANET OF THE OOD: part 2

we wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where the sunset left us.

– Khalil Gibran

[FARREN]

Through the snowy landscape that swallowed their shallow foot steps, Farren listened to Donna's exclamations of how 'Spain has nothing on this.' And 'Morocco is tacky in comparison- even if it's the complete opposite.' The Doctor entertained her commentary by agreeing just as eagerly.

Farren- leading at the front –huffed as they crossed over a rocky bridge, the snow- to her –grew agitating and she had to squint whenever she looked up so that her sight wasn't swarmed by the cold flakes that already littered themselves all over her lashes. Wiping them away became pointless and she just withstood the frosted lashes as both Donna and The Doctor cut through the cold air with joyous laughs.

Farren didn't even understand what they were laughing at- she took to pumping her fingers for warmth and pouting silently about the snow. And unbeknownst to her, it was exactly what the Doctor and Donna were laughing at because it was comical.

She'd crossed her arms over her chest and glared at the air in front of her and dragged her feet, making a little noise of a huff every other second to make clear how much she hated the snow and Donna- with endless nieces and cousins, withstood the attention-seeking tantrum symptoms with whispered commentary to the man beside her.

Needless to say, all had been going fine until the echo of ethereal music swam in the air- causing for Farren to slam to a stop and without second thought- sprint to the source. It was a twinkling, slow tune- bordering on melancholic and brooding but beautiful none the less. And before running off Farren spun around to face the Doctor "Hold on . . . can you?"

"I can," He turned to Donna, "Can you? - Donna, take your hood down." He ordered and caught sight of Farren's head sliding down the short hill.

The red head pulled her hood down and frowned "What?"

"The noise is like a song."

"Over here!" Farren beckoned and bent down to the Ood partly buried under blankets of snow.

Both Donna and the Doctor appeared by her side in seconds, slowing as they processed the sight before them.

"What is it?" The red haired human was faced with something she'd never seen before and it unnerved her to no end obviously. The tentacles coiled on the lower half of its face was squid-like and the man like appearance discomforted her marginally. It was like a man with a squid head. Squidman- she thought and watched the Doctor bend down beside its alien form with a stethoscope in his hand.

"An Ood. He's called an Ood." Farren answered when the Doctor made no motion to.

"But its face . . ." Donna complained- and she couldn't be blamed because to her, it was weird- a proper alien-looking alien on an alien planet. Fine, she had her small, fair share of the unearthly but the Ood was new.

"Donna don't. Not now. He's a he not an it. Give me a hand- both of you." He commanded and Farren immediately coiled her hands around one of the Ood's gloved own, thinking about how she could exactly help.

"Sorry." Donna calmly whispered and kneeled beside Farren, taking the dying creature's shoulder in her hand.

The Doctor moved the stethoscope around desperately "I don't know where the heart is. I don't know if he's got a heart. Talk to him, keep him going."