CHAPTER FOUR - ZOO: part 4

you are so brave and quiet; i forget you are suffering.

– Ernest Hemingway

[FARREN]

She was pushed into the closest room and smartly- picked up on the shifting of locks. Farren immediately realised it was less safe than she'd predicted.

The room itself was dimly lit- mainly dark. Elegantly dressed with fine and probably expensive furniture- it all had a smell, musty and arrogant. Still, it also had a clinical feel, the smell of a dentist that'd swallow young children and have their hearts beating far too quickly against their small chests. The floorboard that creaked with every push of pressure, were a deep brown of chocolate likeness- though it held none of the colour's sweetness.

She felt and looked odd in the room of dark colours, Farren knew her light hair strikingly contrasted against the floor and walls- even her skin was of a pearly pale tone, blanched as the darkness of the room unsettled her.

There was only one desk, pushed far away though still facing her, the wood of the desk was the same tone of the floor, it looked like it grew from the ground itself. And behind that very desk, a sharp looking man sat, tucked into a black leather seat- it didn't look to comfortable.

"Welcome," His voice hummed and it was predictably deep, even almost brooding. Like any old James Bond villain.

"Yeah- no that's not creepy at all." Farren gulped, acknowledging how even the coat still wrapped around her was too light for the room. Every little detail about her was- how could they make their way around the darkness? It seemed too dim for anyone to make out any details- she frowned, it wasn't very practical. Clearly being ominous came at a cost. "What do you want?"

"Catkind-" He began smilingly, the brightness of his yellowing teeth pushing past the shadows cast over his face "New Savannah, Daleks," It was a Cheshire grin with an invisible face and a fiendish set of teeth. Out of reflex, Farren's fingers moved to coil in her palm- she had some level of combat training, it was standard procedure for Fawlayten royalty but she didn't really think she could do a lot of harm to the man mocking her because when he stood- he towered at least a whole foot above her.

She could knock out a six-year-old no problem and maybe wrestle with someone like the Doctor but the Cheshire man- what she'd smartly dubbed him as –was of a muscly build, he'd probably have her flying across the room with a flick of his finger. Being as small as she was, was her greatest disadvantage at that point.

Momentarily, she was flustered "I- well- Yes, you need to close the Zoo down. They'll have this whole place burning in seconds- literally if they want to. It just takes one. You have to close this whole operation down, like- end it now."

"Brilliant- now, how would you know about the Daleks?" This time a similarly toned voice- crawled in from behind her, less threatening and instead sharp and haughty but still grossly menacing.

Farren didn't know how much surprises she could take before she threw up, she twirled around to meet a man with a swaying lab coat. The white material swung from side to side like an old grandfather clock.

"I just do."

"Because you see," The deep voice of the Cheshire man started again and she didn't know which way to look, the floor screamed in old age as he got closer. "No human should know about them, nor really that they're a threat."

"Internet's a great big place," She huffed in offering- she was all too aware that it definitely wasn't as simple as she'd assumed- no, things suddenly got really complicated. "You find everything if you look hard enough- Japanese sex dolls, incestuous fan fiction- Wincest I think it's called . . . not that I look for that 'cus I don't, you get my jist. You look, you find." Her rambling was the product of her nerves, jittery and messy.