I'm thankful for her

All their eyes are on us. The cheerleaders have their eyes on us, the football players have their eyes on us. I look at Caleb and Peyton to see how they respond to this. They simply sit in a booth. I know Peyton heard them say they were going to Mack's, so maybe she arranged all this on purpose. If so, what's her plan? I'm kind of scared now.

“So, how many siblings do you have?” I ask Peyton. Her eyes drift away from the jock table in the back to my eyes. “Jackson's the oldest, then Lucas, then Caleb, then me.” 3 brothers? One girl? “So...no younger sister or anything?” She shakes her head. “But I have a little cousin who's 3 and she's coming with my aunt for Thanksgiving.” I nod my head, but I'm still amazed how such a pretty, girly-girl can have just three siblings and all of them be boys. No wonder the cheerleaders are intimidated by her.

“How many siblings do you have, Adam?” Caleb asks me, skeptically. “Just two, a younger sister and an older brother.” He nods his head. “Who's your brother?” I shrug. “You wouldn't know him, he's Ryan Greene.” Still, Caleb just nods his head. I feel like I'm being interviewed.

“What are your plans for Thanksgiving?” Caleb just has to fill the silence with more questions. “Usually it's just our family, you know, my sister, brother, me, parents. It's not really a big family get-together. Sometimes my dad has to work.” Peyton makes a face and I'm not sure if it's disgust towards the jocks or if it's sympathy for my boring Thanksgiving day plans.

“You should come to our house for Thanksgiving. It's always...interesting.” Peyton says, with a smirk at Caleb. Caleb exchanges the same look. I'd say I feel left out but really I'm just nervous as to what they're talking about.

I look at the jocks and see that it might've been disgust that was in Peyton's expression instead of sympathy because they're flinging food across the table and yelling obnoxiously to the others. I'm use to that, and you would think Peyton was too with 3 older brothers. But no. She's still grossed out.

“I think that'd be cool but I don't think my mom would like that.” They nod their heads, but something else catches their attention more than anything. Aaron makes out with a cheerleader and Colleen, on the opposite side of the table makes out with a football player. Sickening. I feel bad for Mack. “You know what, let's go to our house for dinner. I think Mack has his hands full with those kids.” Peyton comments and I laugh, “Sounds good.”

Just as many eyes are on us when we leave. Colleen and Aaron both look up at us when we walk out the door. I catch Mack's arm as he walks by in a rush. “For your troubles.” I give him a ten and pat his back. He smiles at me, “Thanks, kid.”

*******

“Wow.” I don't remember Peyton's house appearing this big on the outside. We walk to the back of the house, where the kitchen is, and I see out the back door that there's a huge pasture and a barn. “I thought you lived in a neighborhood. I don't know how I could've missed the huge land behind the house.” She laughs, “Yeah, I think you were a little distracted by the truck.” I smirk, “Yeah, it was a nice truck.”

“What truck?” Caleb asks from the kitchen. “The Chevy under the shed.” I answer. I see him smile when we walk in. He leans against the island counter in the middle of the room. The living room connects without a door.

“It was gonna be my truck, but I never had time to restore it. I hope Peyton doesn't have the same problem.” I look to her and I know Caleb didn't mean anything by it, but Peyton takes it as an insult. I don't understand girls.

“What's that supposed to mean?” she asks. Caleb rolls his eyes, I try not to laugh. “Oh, you think that's funny, Adam?” She turns to me. Caleb's turn to laugh. I stare at her for a moment. “Yes.” I say firmly. Her face turns bright red and Caleb backs away, slowly. “You won't think so after-” “After what?” I interrupt her. To all guys out there, never interrupt a girl when she's ranting. Especially when you've caused the rant.