Did I just...?

The day goes by like nothing happened. People don't stare at me with daggers this time, but don't look at me at all, which I feel is better. If I understand correctly, people actually accept me now and are getting used to my ways; they at least like me better now than when I was with Peyton.

Though I spend lunch by myself, it does not mean things around me are quiet. People whisper about me behind my back and in front of my face. Suddenly, Colleen slides into the seat across from me. Ah crap-on-a-stick! What have I done to tick her off?!

Wait. She grins at me. "What do you want?" I huff. She twirls her blonde hair around her fingers. "I think I made a mistake." She reaches out to touch my hand. I pull back. 

"Adam, I'm sorry I ever dumped you. Please, let's go back out? I miss being by your side at lunch and listening to you play your music over the phone. Let's go back to the way it was." Well, I've already gone back to pretty much everything else. But I really have to consider this. Colleen broke up with me. Do I want to experience the hurt all over again?

That's right. I didn't get hurt in the first place. "You didn't even hurt me. If I felt nothing, what will make me feel anytihng this time around?" She looks at me, confused, then her face clears up. "Adam, you may not have missed me all this time, but I missed you. No other guy compared. I want you back."

Sure. I believe that. I go to get up from the table and she grabs my hand. "Adam. Just. Think about it, okay? For me?" I fake grin, "Of course." 

What makes her think I'm stupid enough to go back out with her? Just because I'm back to being me doesn't mean I'm that stupid. No one should stoop so low. 

I continue to walk over to the table where Trevor sits then spot he's with LeAnna. I don't know if I could meet her eyes over what happened between Peyton and I. They share a laugh and I keep walking. When I reach the garbage bin, I dump my tray and then set the baby-blue tray on top of the others. I walk to band class, where I know Mr. Silovich will be on lunch break. 

"Oh, hi, Adam. How can I help you?" I wince at his words; I don't want help anymore. "I just came to apologize for falling asleep at the drums the other day."

Mr. Silovich stands up from his computer. "It's fine, Adam. I understand what happened."

I wish he didn't look at me like I was wounded.

"So do you want to tell me the real reason you're not in the cafeteria flirting with that one girl you seem to like so much?"

This guy is my favorite teacher. "Well, I kinda made her mad at me." He rubs his forehead. "Adam, what did you do?"

I tell him the story of what happened when I was in the hospital and then of Peyton's visit. Afterwards, he just laughs. I did not realize it was comedic until I told it. "Women." Mr. Silovich rolls his eyes as he says it. I chuckle along.

"Adam, why are you staying with football and not her? I have to ask. There's people on that team that you share a mutual hate with. But you like Peyton. Why wouldn't you stay in A.P with her?"

I sigh, preparing him and myself.

"She's leaving for college eventually. I was supposed to help her get there but...well we see how that went. Football will be my only escape once she's gone. It'll be like she was never there."

Mr. Silovich taps his chin with a pen. "Adam, are you sure you want that?" I huff, "More than anything I just want things to not be complicated."

"That's life, Adam."

Point taken.

The bell rings and I have to go back to class. I thank Mr. Silovich and rush to class. I still have A.P classes, because I'm afraid to speak to Ms. York until she is convinced I'm innocent.

I sit in the corner of math class and try to pay attention. At least I'm keeping that up. Peyton doesn't look at me at all and it's fine by me. The game is on my mind and probably on hers too.

*********

When I reach the football field, my mind goes into game mode. This is our second to last game. If we lose, though, it will be our last. If we win, we go on to play the championship game.

I'm our center player. I hike the ball to the quarterback. Aaron, the quarterback throws it to Tyler, our wide receiver. Oh, you idiot! You should've passed it to the Split end! The other team just barely misses an interception. So, maybe Aaron didn't mess up too bad but that can't happen again. I rush to catch the ball then toss it back to Aaron, who throws it back to Tyler and we make a touchdown because he was so close.

That was almost like a perfect diamond pattern. Who taught them that? Must have been Peyton. Which brings me to wonder where she is.

The rest of the game runs smoothly, as we use similar patterns to where the other team can't get the ball but only a few times and we intercept. Needless to say, we win, and we're going to chapionships!

Colleen comes rushing up to me when I grab my water bottle and smiles widely. She throws down her pom-poms and kisses me until I can't breathe.

"Yes, Colleen, I'll go back out with you." I say in a hushed voice and she picks her pom-poms back up and squeals while she runs off. 

Did I just?

********

 "Hey, Adam, I gotta tell you something." Ryan comes outside before I can close my car door. I sit on the hood and wait. "I know who did the vandalism at school." 

My mind goes wild for a second, going through the possibilities. "Who?" I ask and then my mind settles down. He takes a deep breath. 

"Me." 

Haha. What.

"It was a senior prank. People did it a couple months ago so we thought we could get by with it again. They had me in on it this time and I did the graffiti."

"Good job, it looked nice." 

"I know, thanks." We both laugh and he continues. "I didn't think Ms. York would lash out on you like that. Adam, I don't think they would send you to jail because you're a minor, but any of the other guys would be busted because some are 18. You have to help me!" Ryan. Pleading. Literally on his knees. Whoa.

"I...I already have to go to court in a few days...Wait. If I'm a minor, what would the punishment be?" 

Ryan shrugs. I just grin, "Most likely community service. And if I clean up my mess, and the rest of the school, would my punishment really be necessary?" I cross my arms over my chest and let it sink in. Ryan looks at me with what I think to be terror. "What?" I say. He shakes his head. "You are smarter, way smarter, than even me. So, what's your plan, Mr. Genius?" 

I smile widely. "We clean up our mess." 

*******

"Why won't the paint scrub off?!" Ryan shouts and I 'shush' him. I continue scrubing a brush with soapy water and finally I get a whole word done. "What if we get caught?" 

I laugh. "Caught cleaning graffiti? I wouldn't worry." He shrugs. 

"There's a window they broke out back at the greenhouse. We need to fix that too." He whispers.

"Ryan, I don't think there's an all night window shop anywhere in Springfield." He huffs then laughs. 

When we get to the greenhouse, we take out the window all together and find some plexi glass in the shed that's for some reason always unlocked. We replace it as best we can and walk back to the graffiti spot.

"So is this all that's left? All you guys did was bust a window and graffiti a brick wall? What kind of senior prank was this?" 

He laughs and shrugs, "When you do it once and don't get caught, then do it a second time and your brother gets blamed, it sounds like a pretty good prank." He ruffles my hair and I swat his hand away but laugh. 

"So, what do you think Ms. York's reaction will be when she sees the vandalism is gone and she had no proof?" 

I smirk at his question. "Hard to say. But I think I know who will win this court session."