Guilty until proven innocent

"Adam Greene, you are put on trial of the vandalism of Blue County High School. Please rise." I've never watched an episode of Judge Judy, and never imagined I'd be in a court room on trial at age 17. I'm a little out of my element.

Before I know it, the Judge is asking me questions.

"Mr. Greene, Ms. York tells me you had previously vandalized the school on account of vengeance. This time, there was a busted out window and a wall that had graffiti. What motivated you to trash the school this time?"

I sigh, "I didn't do it the first time, and I didn't do it the second time, either. I refuse to admit lies until she shows proof. Tell us, Ms. York, that you have proof." I hide my smirk very conveniently when her eyes grow with worry.

"I...I went to take a picture of the damage this morning, but it was scrubbed off and the window was replaced." I see the judge hold back a laugh. "So you have no proof that this boy did it?" She looks from me to him. "Well I don't know of any other students who would've done it. It was there. I call Ryan Greene to be my witness." I roll my eyes and I see mom try to mentally scold me.

"Ryan, is it true that you and your brother are close?" Why is she asking the questions? Did the school board not hire a lawyer? Cheap.

"Sure, we live under the same roof." He sits in the chair and the judge makes him go through an oath to tell the truth and only the truth.

"You may further your questions, Ms. York."

She looks to Ryan to answer her question. "Yeah, we're pretty close."

She nods. "Would you say Adam has had some behavior issues in the past?" He shrugs, "Yeah, but he's changed." She snorts.

"Where was Adam the day of the first vandalism?"

Ryan racks his brain to recall. "He was still at home. Mom wouldn't let him ride to school with me because he couldn't get his grades up and he was walking to school to be punished."

She nods, remembering me telling her that. "So he didn't...sneak off in the night to vandalize the school?" He laughs, "Why would he? He didn't have a car!"

She nods with a smirk. "But now he has his car..." Ryan looks to me, I just shrug.

"Ms. York, do you have any real proof?" She slowly backs away, "Not material-like, no sir." The Judge looks to me. I gulp. "Son, tell me the truth when I ask if you committed the crime." I shake my head, "No. I didn't. Whatever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'?" The Judge laughs in my face, "Son, in my court you're guilty until proven innocent!"

Ms. York huffs. This court thing is getting nowhere and fast.

That's when I decide to pull out the secret weapon. "But I do know who did. Ever heard of a senior prank?" I watch the Judge nearly laugh, "Well of course! So you're saying it was a bunch of seniors? Well, Ms. York, I can assure you that community service will work best for this crime. Can you tell me who, specifically, Adam?"

I take a breath and look to Ryan, who shrugs, seeming okay with the thought of community service because he practically just did it. "My brother and his friends."

I can hear some gasps around the room. "This brother?" Ms. York gasps and laughs. I nod and so does Ryan. She looks to the Judge. "Community service." Before he can bring down his gavel, I interrupt. "You wanna know who cleaned up the mess? My brother and I." Ms. York becomes wide-eyed.

"So you're brother has done his community service. Get me a list of the other vandalists and they will have one week of community service. Case dismissed."