The new old me

"YOU'RE WHAT?" Peyton exclaims at me and stands up from where she was sitting on the hospital bed beside my feet. "You can't drop out of A.P classes! They're way more important than football! Adam, think straight, for once! I need you to help me finish this project and YOU'RE JUST BAILING ON ME?! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?"

Peyton visited me after school. I wish she hadn't. Her yelling hurts my head more.

"And you've worked so hard to be in those classes! And now you're giving up? Just when you catch up? Adam, I know you've been exhausted lately, but you need to think about this rationally!"

"And I have. I've had all day confined in this bed to know my life was a lot simpler without the stress of A.P classes. Don't worry, Peyton, I'm still gonna help you get into a good college. The football thing represents volunteer work, just put that on your resume or whatever. If you want, you can still tutor me."

She presses her fingers to her temples. "Adam, I swear, if you go back to your old ways, you can forget about me going to the dance with you."

I smirk, "Peyton, I'm going back to my old ways, and if you don't want to go to the dance with me after all, then fine, it's not like you're going to be around much longer to date me anyways."

She looks like she's been slapped; her face is red, and she looks like she's about to cry. She picks up the vase of flowers someone brought and smashes it on the floor and I gasp, just because I didn't expect it from her. She picks up the flowers and throws them at my chest.

"YOU'RE A JERK. I HOPE YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT AND FAIL JUNIOR YEAR AND THE YEAR AFTER THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE LAZY AND ONLY CARE ABOUT YOURSELF! I HATE YOU!"

And she storms out, leaving pieces of glass broken on the floor and my heart broken in my chest.

But it had to be done.

"Okay, Mr. Greene, you're going home. Just make sure you'll--"

"Yeah, I know. I've already made arrangements."

******

We win our game that night. Yeah, I know I was supposed to take it easy but I really wanted to play and it turns out they really did need me--I scored half our touchdowns.

I change out after the game and leave my duffel in my locker. When I turn around, many of the guys surround me, but they don't seem mad. "Welcome back, Greene." Aaron surprises me when he's the first to say something and it looks like he genuinely means it.

I drive back home with a smile plastered on my face. This was definitely a great choice. Though, Peyton did not show up to the game, I'm still stoked that we won and a bunch of girls gave me their numbers. I couldn't feel happier with my new plan.

After I eat super at home, I take one look at the stack of homework on my bed and shove it to the floor. I walk over to my laptop and play Pandora. But I don't even listen to the songs, I text the girls that gave me their numbers. I have a date lined up for Friday and Saturday, huh, would you look at that.

This life is so much simpler. Peyton got involved in my life and it became chaotic and I was so into it that I actually thought for a moment that I liked Peyton. No way, I like my old lifestyle too much.

It comes time for lights out and I gladly turn out my light with a smile on my face as I go to sleep. Sleep. Something I didn't get until I was at the hospital.

******

Well back to my old ways means I'm getting called to the principal's office again. Ms. York calls me to her office during my lunch period. I was sitting alone as of the moment so I didn't really care. "Adam, I know what happened in the hospital and it's tragic that you had to go there after all the hard work. But, believe me, you do not want to drop out at the rate you're going. You are phenomenal! I never thought I'd say this about you but you can have a bright future and--"