10: I knew that scheming bastard upstairs would play favourites!

"Kale, it was really you?!!!!"

At opposite ends of the room, Tarragon and the duke shook their heads in disbelief.

At the side, Saffron began to stare at Kale as if he were an immoral beast.

On the sofa, the duchess peeked at her son as she muttered, "I didn't imagine that the other party already be such a mature and masculine man. Are Ferris' tastes that heavy?!"

The earl stood up with his hands on his temples. "Where is the ring, Kale? We need to see if it's valid!"

"Valid?" Kale blinked. "I don't know about valid but it was a bit more on the expensive side. After I got it, I've just kept it in on the shelf next to my bed."

"Wait, if it's on the shelf in your room then that means you can be more than an arm's length away from the ring! The proposal isn't valid after all!" The earl rejoiced. All we have to do now is return the ring!

"Kale, go and quickly fetch the ring from your room!"

"Um, alright. If you say so, master."

As Kale turned to leave a voice suddenly called out, "Wait!"

Everyone turned to look at Feidhelm who had suddenly raised his voice. "Ferris has been trying to say something since a while earlier."

Feeling everyone's eyes on him, Ferris shrunk back a bit.

Feidhelm covered his brother's hand with his own reassuringly. "Don't be nervous, little brother. You may say whatever it is that you wish."

Ferris struggled for a moment before he mustered up the strength to quietly reveal, "This....isn't....the big brother I met."

Everyone in the room was startled.

"What?"

In a slightly louder voice he repeated, "He's....not...the big brother who has my ring."

The earl's eyes darted back and forth between Ferris and Kale. Suddenly he felt the need to confirm something. "Kale, have you met Lord Ferris before?"

"Lord Ferris?" Kale paused for a moment before he hurriedly cried out, "Oh! Please forgive my ignorance!" Turning to the duke he lowered his head and greeted him deferentially. "My humble greetings, Lord Ferris. This lowly servant's name is Kale."

"No, no, no! That isn't Lord Ferris!" The earl gestured to the smallest figure on the sofa. "This is!"

"My sincerest apologies!" Kale turned to Ferris. "Greetings, Lord Ferris!"

I wasn't asking you to greet him!

The earl smoothed out the wrinkle that had formed between his eyebrows and tried to compose himself. "Judging by your reaction I'd reckon that you aren't familiar with Lord Ferris then?"

Kale blinked. "No, master. I am not."

Saffron, Tarragon and the earl shot him bitter looks. That was literally all you had to say!

The duke and duchess whom were still dumbfounded turned to their son. "Wait, Ferris. This really isn't the big brother you met?"