Chapter 6

"Where's Steve?" Alex had teleported into the tower and was looking around. Wanda stayed slouched on the sofa,

"He went with Natasha to get the shopping."

"That's usually my job." Alex sat down next to her only for Wanda to shift slightly away,

"Natasha said that you steal so you're not allowed to go anymore."

After a moment's contemplation, Alex asked, "Will they be back soon?"

"Probably, why?" Alex snapped her fingers and a full shopping trolley fell onto the coffee table, splitting it in two. She pulled a face and tutted in concentration,

"That wasn't what I planned."

Wanda stayed silent, only for Alex to poke her cheek. The contact burned, Wanda's whole body tensing as her surprised intake of breath caught in her throat. Alex's hand withdrew and Wanda was alright.

"Why don't you like people touching you?" Alex's eyes were now trained on the TV.

"I don't like you touching me."

"Ouch," Alex pressed a hand to her heart, looking wounded but still her eyes didn't move from the TV, "Why?"

"I don't want to— is that not enough?"

"No. Do you not like me?"

"I don't really know you."

"Neither does Pietro and yet we're friends. Potentially more than friends according to my weird dream last night. That's not important, what's different about you and me?"

It wasn't even as though Wanda liked Alex— she wanted to be her friend but even that was difficult. She shouldn't be friends with a girl, especially not one like Alex who was so out about herself. Wanda could hardly look at Alex without remembering the neighbours' whispers.

"I don't know, it just is," Wanda replied.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" Alex sounded her normal self but there was some shame in the question.

"It's not your fault."

"Most things are my fault, it's alright," Alex let out a sigh, "Can I ask you for a favour?"

"What?"

"You once made me see my worst nightmare, as you did with other Avengers."

"And you want me to do it again?"

"No," Alex turned to look at Wanda, "I want you to make me see my memories and experience them."

<~~>

An almost shockingly handsome young man was stood outside the front door of the Esposito's old house. His dark hair was messily styled and swept mainly over to one side, framing the sharp lines of his face. Like Alex, his eyes were a deep brown but they were wider, more sunken and looked overall more like how she remembered her fathers being.

As Alex watched, he raised his hand and knocked three times on the door. When no one answered, he knocked five times, then five times again.