Chapter 12

Alex swayed back and forth, holding onto the rail as Natasha stood opposite, arms folded as the tube rattled from one stop to another,

"So what are we doing when we get to York?" Asked Alex.

"I was thinking of just some sightseeing for the afternoon. Walk around the walls, look in some shops then have a takeaway outside the York Minster. The hotel I've booked is right outside the station so we don't have to carry anything with us. Then tomorrow we'll be able to collect the rented car and drive around."

"Can we go to Castle Howard? They filmed parts of Garfield there and I've always dreamt of eating a lasagna there. Literally, I've had like two or three dreams about it. In one of them I blew up."

"You're meant to be on a diet. Do you not remember the talk we had?"

"So I can't run without getting out of breath, who cares? Pietro can run for me."

"That's the fifth time you've mentioned Pietro this morning."

Alex quickly shut up.

"So the plan for York sounds good," she replied as they got off the underground, "Crap, it's really busy."

She and Nat had to split up to feed their cards through the machines and Alex's rejected her three times. With a glance to check everyone was looking somewhere else, she teleported past the barriers and looked around for Natasha.

She was gone.

Alex groaned, "Where are you?" She continued to wander around, looking at the station names but they meant nothing to her, "Theundruk, wanna help me?"

|| That's a nice top you have on ||

Alex rounded the corner and went headfirst into someone. She stumbled back, jerking her prosthetic hand up and feeling a burning hot liquid running down her front, "What the fuck!"

"I'm so sorry" the person apologised, "I didn't see you— are you alright?"

Alex quickly checked no liquid had gotten on or under her prosthetic and sighed at the large stain now covering her top, "Yeah, I'm fine but my top..." Alex looked up briefly only to do a double-take at how attractive the man she'd walked into was. An immediate heat rose to the tips of her ears as she took in his doe eyes, stubbled chin and full lips that were slightly parted.

He was looking Alex up and down, stroking his chin with pale fingers but the action was more worried than considering, "That's tea, it's going to be awful to get out. Do you live here or—"

"Oh no, I'm just visiting. With family, so she should be able to help me. If I find her," Alex muttered the last bit, craning her neck around for Natasha. The man stood patiently next to her and when Alex looked back at him, he lifted the jacket he'd been wearing,

"You can take this if you like. I know my sister would rather die than walk around with a stain on her."

"Your sister is right, but will you not be cold?"

"No, no I was going to donate it. It's a good coat but I think there are people who need it more than me."

"That's a nice idea. I'll pass it on once I'm done," Alex shrugged the jacket on, buttoning it up until it covered the mark, "God I hope this comes out, I love this top."

"I'd offer to pay for a replacement but I really can't afford to, I'm so sorry." His eyes were wide already yet he managed to widen them even more to something akin to puppy dog eyes. Alex had to stifle a laugh,

"Oh no, I can get a new one just fine, it's just this one  has some great memories," Alex finally realised she was acting rude and offered out her hand, "I'm Alessandra, nice to meet you."

He smiled, brown eyes crinkling, "I'm Alessandro."

"No way! I've never met another one, are you Italian then?"

"Half Italian. I lived there for most of my life, but my dad turned up again after about twenty years and brought me over here."

"You speak proper English, even your accent sounds like the Queen or someone."

"Many, many elocution lessons. My dad once spent an hour correcting my 'hello'."

"Oh, I just avoid saying that now. You know what the worst part is?"

"When people say they can't understand you then go into some obscenely complex jargon."

"Basically. Although the only word I understood there was complex."

Alessandro laughed with his whole body, throwing his head back as he touched Alex's arm, "So where are you from now? You speak excellent English, no matter what you say."

"New York. Been there for three years now? Roughly."

"Very nice. I've always wanted to visit there."

"Don't it's shit," Alex smiled at him, "But if you're ever in New York—"

"Give you a call?"

"I was gonna say avoid the squirrels but yeah, that too. It's always nice to meet another Italian."

"We have to stick together, especially against those northern Italians," He'd pulled a business card out of nowhere and offered it to Alex using both his hands, who tucked it in her back pocket,

"Thanks. For the jacket and for the company."

"Alex, we're gonna miss the train." Nat had arrived, apparently having procured a baseball cap that cast a shadow over most of her face.

"Right," Alex turned to Alessandro, "Nice to meet you, bye."

"Goodbye...Alessandra."