Chapter 17

Against all odds, Pietro had enjoyed his night.

As long as he didn't think too much, he could forget about Alex and focus only on Adelaide. They were standing on the platform now so Pietro could get the train back to the compound, and as another delay was announced, Pietro sighed.

"So eager to get back?"

"I don't want you to be cold. And this is done all wrong, I should be walking you home."

"You'd get into too much trouble alone."

He would probably find Alex and throw that Alessandro in the river. "Maybe."

They stood in silence, but a comfortable one. That was the problem. He only saw Adelaide as a friend, no matter how much he wished otherwise. It would make his life easier if he liked Adelaide, and less painful since at least there was a chance for them to have a relationship.

Everything with Alex was complicated.

"And now I see why you asked me out tonight."

"What do you— oh," Pietro managed to cut himself off simply by turning around and seeing what Adelaide had.

Alex and her date were walking down the steps.

Adelaide's hand was on his sleeve, trying to pull him away but Pietro only moved closer. She didn't relent but neither did he, ignoring her completely in favour of listening to Alex's conversation,

"You really didn't have to walk me to the station."

"Well, you wouldn't let me take you all the way home so I only think it's fair. Which platform are you on?"

"It won't be here for another ten minutes. You better go, it's late."

"And leave you alone? It can be dangerous at night."

Alex hesitated and Adelaide had stopped trying to pull Pietro away, "I've got a friend who's meant to be getting this train too, I'll be alright till they get here."

"Nonsense, I'll see you onto the train myself. I don't mind at all."

"That's very nice of you, thanks." They began walking down the other end of the platform and Pietro watched Alex shake her head as Alex draped his jacket over her shoulders.

Adelaide had an arm around Pietro's waist, "We should go over there."

"No. She'd hate it if I interrupted her date." The last word he almost spat, as though it was the worst thing in the world to happen.

"It doesn't look much like a date." She patted him on the shoulder, "Come on, Alex doesn't seem right."

"Leave me alone," he pulled away then backtracked, "I'm sorry, Adelaide. You haven't done anything.
Neither has Alex, this is me. This is all me."

A train drew into the station. Pietro tried to turn around to see if it was his but Adelaide suddenly shoved him.

"No, don't!"

"Why? Oh—" Pietro had turned and he saw what Adelaide had.

Alessandro was kissing Alex. Her hands were resting on his shoulders, leaning completely into him as his hands ran up her back to rest in her hair.