Chapter 37

It was as easy as ever to teleport to Pietro, finding his mind in the sea of others was as natural as breathing to her. He was the person she'd begun to lean on, who understood her where the Avengers could not. Her mind was clearer now and she no longer wanted to hide from her family, but the itch to run had transformed into a question of,

"If I ran away, would you come with me?"

Pietro's face flickered with questions for a split second before he managed to spot Alex, hiding in the corner. He jumped up, then sat back down, tucking his hands under his legs. The smile on his face couldn't quite be contained in the same way, a grin full of relief and happiness, a look Alex knew all too well.

She stepped forwards, the endorphins Theundruk had triggered in her making her feel light and not quite capable of any emotion other than happiness, "You protected my Panfortis."

"Yeah, and you made it damn hard too. Where were you? When I first found them, you teleported us away but then you weren't there. I've been trying to reach you for days, Wanda's been missing and they've literally just announced on the news that Kore has stolen the Crown Jewels."

Alex remembered her brother threatening Kore, Kore saying that C.R.Y.P.T. wouldn't let her be freed until they were destroyed. And Alex had done it but obviously not quick enough, "I'll find her. They were together, weren't they? Wanda wouldn't leave and Kore wouldn't do that."

"You'll find her?"

"We'll find them," Alex took in a deep breath, holding out her hand towards Pietro, "Together."

"Alex—," For a moment, his hand reached towards hers and Alex thought he was going to stand. Then Pietro turned away, looking out the window, "I can't."

"What?"

"There's something you should know. I tried telling you before but you fell asleep and missed it. Luckily, you missed it."

"You're in love with me," Alex stated, looking intently at Pietro.

He flinched but otherwise did not react. After a moment, his mouth opened and in a fake-casual voice, he replied, "I don't think so."

"You like me then. And I like you."

"You like me?" Alex went to nod but that was when Pietro stood up, running his hand through his hair and tugging on the ends, "Jesus, Alex, why do you have to do that to me?"

"Have I missed something?"

"Apparently the last six months," Pietro stood, facing Alex with a surprising calmness, "Alex, you shouldn't like me. You don't like me, it's not fair, to either of us. I've spent every moment since I realised trying to get over you."

"Why?"

"You know why," the slow shake of Alex's head made Pietro roll his eyes, "I don't deserve you. And it's not right, with our past."

"I've forgiven you."

"But that doesn't mean it should be forgotten. I hurt you."

"I hurt you too."

"Not like I did you. I owe you too much as well, for everything you've done for me."

"I just gave—"

"You saved my life."

"And that means we shouldn't—"

"I can't."

"Why not? We both want this."

"You know why, why are you making it so much more complicated."

"Because I don't understand!"

"It can't happen!"

"Why!" Alex teleported forwards, taking one of Pietro's hands, "Explain to me what's stopping you."

"Alex, I am helpless in the fact that I love you!"

He shouted it. He softened,

"And nothing could ever happen because of who you are."

"Italian?"

"Beautiful." He answered instantly like he hadn't even had to think about it, "Clever and sarcastic and kind. And you're good. God, Alex, your heart is so good. Too good and too much for me."

Alex took stumbled a few steps back, letting go of his hand. Her chest rose and fell, heavy breaths to clear her mind.

Then she stepped forwards,

"I see all of that in you too. But you're also stupid if you don't think you deserve me. Look what you've done here for those kids, Pietro. God, just look at yourself from not even six months ago."

"I hurt you."

"I know. But you made yourself a better person. A person that I...I want to love."

They faced each other for a moment and Alex offered Pietro a small smile. He did not return it although he was looking intently at her. A second passed, then another and then Pietro looked at her to meet her eyes,

"Sorry."

"For—" Alex began to ask but the words were prevented as Pietro lurched forwards and kissed her.

It was familiar by now, wonderfully familiar; Alex instinctively gripping onto his shirt, the feel of his body pressed against hers, the sigh she made as Pietro bit her lip and the revenge for that being her tongue carefully yet daringly slipping into his mouth.

Pietro's hands slid down Alex's body, cupping her ass and she laughed softly, in pure happiness as her own hand slipped under his shirt. They were touching each other everywhere, so desperate and wanting. Alex pushed Pietro backwards and he let out a low groan as he fell against the door handle.

She snorted, and Pietro was quick to respond, "You think that's funny?"

"Better than thinking it's sexy— oh." Pietro had begun kissing her neck, light enough to not leave marks until Alex teleported her shirt off. He kissed harder, sucking slightly in one spot low down her chest and then sat back,

"This isn't some extreme, long term plan to kill me, is it?"

"I don't think so," Alex replied, "Why?"

His eyes flickered across her face and the previous passion in them had sweetened. When he spoke, his voice was slightly rough,

"I never knew I could be this happy. It doesn't even feel real, I can't believe I have you."

Alex, at a loss for words, leaned up to kiss him.

Everything around them vanished; the world and its inhabitants disappeared as Alex and Pietro abandoned all that had been holding them back before. It was just them.