Chapter 15

They didn't end up in Turkey. Alex had tried but Theundruk had apparently decided they knew better and took the pair to Disney World instead. They'd only given one instruction too before going completely silent,

|| Stay in crowds or stay apart ||

Currently, they were sitting on the flying carpet ride and Alex was explaining as best as she could that the pair of them were in extreme danger. Pietro was being remarkably patient— even as Alex's voice shook dangerously close to full-on tears, he listened intently.

When she was done, he shook his head,

"Alessandra, why didn't you tell me? Or Sam? Or even Stark?"

"I was scared. It's all my fault and I didn't want to put this pressure on you. It's complicated too, the way I know this stuff." Alex still couldn't get the words out about Theundruk. Pietro hadn't pushed it and she knew he wouldn't but that didn't mean the others would do the same.

"So," Pietro sighed as the ride began to slow down, "Why aren't the Time Variance people here right now?"

"Because we're not changing anything. Only a few other people were waiting to go on this ride and it would operate without us."

"But if we set a bomb off..."

"They'd be here almost instantly. And unless I teleported away, that would be the end for us. Luckily, they need us together to fix the timeline and most of the time we're not fucking stuff up enough that they can find us."

"Except for today when you killed a lot of people then showed up at the tower, where I was."

"I didn't know that would happen. I didn't know that we could do stuff separately and it would let the TVA find us. I thought we had to do something together like...I don't know, have a baby—" Pietro made a choking noise, "— for them to be able to."

They got off the ride and Alex held Pietro's hand to stop him from disappearing as they walked to another quiet one.

"I'm going to have to lie low for a bit. I never meant to stay home for as long as I did, I just missed my family so much. I forgot I wasn't just putting myself in danger."

Pietro was silent for a moment, "I don't know what they'll do without you when you're what keeps us together. I only joined them because I wanted to avenge you and prove that you were right to trust me," he laughed, "and then you broke time for me. Just another thing I owe you."

"Visit me, that's all I want. Keep me updated on what's happening in the tower."

"Is it even safe for me to do that?"

"Should be. Long as it's not often and I move around. I'll stay at Sam's for a bit, then off to Italy to see my mom. Probably back here for a while then I may see what I missed in Edinburgh."

"You're so calm about this." As they joined the queue for Stitch, Pietro dropped her hand.

"It's like when I lost my hand. I always knew it could happen and the build-up was so bad that when it actually happened I just felt nothing." Theundruk was the reason she felt nothing now. Her emotions were constantly changing. One moment she was the happiest she'd ever felt and the next, there was an anger inside her that not even Theundruk could control.

"What am I meant to tell the Avengers? I'm guessing not the truth."

"Tell them nothing. Say I've gone away for a bit, remember, like I asked you to do before?"